Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Sep 2, 2008.

1. John,

I'm running 53 Oldsmobile caps on my Hudson. They're easy to find (I think they used the same caps from like 51-54 or something), and they have a really nice shape to them. They look a bit like the Cad Sombrero caps.

Check it out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oh, very nice. I like those. If I have not said this before, I love your car and covet it. I wonder if the ones that Bad Bob runs are repops of those.

3. Thanks for the compliment John. I'm a big fan of your car too. ha ha.

As for the caps, they pop up on ebay quite a bit. I've got 6 or 7 of them, but most of them have little dings in them. A real nice set is not that hard to find though, and quite reasonable. If you're into them, keep an eye out on the ebay.

If you'd like to see how one looks on your Merc, PM me your address and I'll mail you one of my junk ones so you can get an idea of how they'd be on your car...

4. 'Mo

'Mo

I too like the Olds caps.

I am also partial to '52 Buicks (deep dish):
    [​IMG]

and especially '54 Hudson:
    [​IMG]

These images are from http://www.hubcaps.org/

Have you checked them out? I have not purchased from them, but have heard that their caps are in as-new condition.

5. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I have 52 Olds on my Chevy too and really like them.

I like Bloodyknuckles hubcaps which he says are '51-'52 Plymouth with 3 1/2" bullet.

[​IMG]

6. Those are all very interesting looking.

A pic of the Studebaker hubcap on my car: [​IMG]

I liked the simple look, but all the ones I keep finding and buying are not nice enough.

Mo I'll check that site out, I think I talked to them once, they sounded promising.

I have all the parts to do a floating grille just like the Sam Barris Merc.

7. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

John, your MerK is looking good.

8. twochops

twochops

9. Hmm they are killer, but it looks like Terry Hegman has that look going and his car is also dark blue....

[​IMG]

10. pallooza

pallooza
    from Yuma,AZ

11. Skirv

Skirv

12. threewindow

threewindow

I always use the 51 ford headlight rings . The steel ones have about a half inch inside return on them. I put the headlights on the back and trim the outside of the rings until they fit the glass well. Makes a nice looking early style frenched light. You can see pictures of my 51 merc on my web site at threewindow.

13. Rathbone

Rathbone

There are a lot of good recommendations for hubcaps in this thread, am I to understand that they all will fit a Ford / Mercury wheel (which is what the O.P. has)? Cadillac caps don't fit, but otherwise it seems safe to try anything.