Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1951 Mercury Restoration Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Most cars in the 50's didn't have a passenger side mirror, and many didn't have a driver's one either right?

2. HRod 50

HRod 50

I know I'm biased because I own a kustom 4 door Merc, but in it's stock form I really think the 4door is a beautiful car.. I dont think I've ever seen a stock 4 door.. Sweet ride...

3. Okay I'm not sure what they are called, those interior moldings that sort of hold the glass in... garnish moldings? Mine are currently tweeded over, I will have that stripped off. Should I eventually paint them? I think I've even seen them chromed in somebody's car.

4. They were originally painted. Chroming them puts some nice burns on your inner arm in the bright sun.

5. Thanks Larry, I'll just have Larry throw some paint on them.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

more than likely the metal work will not be perfect so plateing them might not be an option. some of them were chrome originally and made of brass, which makes them really fun to chop...

7. John. Have a look at the Guide Y50 mirror. It came on a number of GM cars, 49-up Caddy, 53 Olds, 53-62 Corvette.

Here's a link to a pic of one

It's a really nice mirror, small swoopy base, and the mirror itself is not too big.

There is a right and a left side, so get a matched pair if you are going to run both.

8. FWIW I ordered the '78 Dodge truck chrome strip stuff that Rudy said he had used in that black '51 years ago:

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/truck_weatherstripping.htm
    913/914

Mirror link no worky.

I haven't flatbedded the car over to Larry because we have salt everywhere and Paul (body guy) and I didn't like the idea of salt getting on the sides of the car. I'll talk to him and see what he thinks. I'm hearing it will warm up next week so I think that would be worse for the car, it will be more slushy. I don't have an enclosed trailer nor do I want to lean on any of my friends that do, I'll I'll talk to my buddy the tow guy and the body guy and see if we should just go ahead and move it while it's 20F out.

9. The blizzard delayed moving the Mercury, that finally happened today. Voodoo Larry and Mitch will address a few issues and then install my glass and trim. I took some pics of the car outside, first time in a while:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  10. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. Looks killer John!!! That is going to be one bad ass ride when you are done.

12. Thanks Ian, means a lot. I thought you and some of the other guys would enjoy some outside shots. Should be able to drive it home in 2-2.5 weeks I think, she's in good hands.

13. You should be super proud! You have done an incredible job of bringing your car back to the world of classic traditional customs.

14. FUCK!!!! It's so hard to believe it's even the same car! It's gonna look so good when you're done.....Tell Larry and his wife I said "HI",next time you talk to him.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You started with a car that looked exactly like the McDonalds sign it was parked under, but you hung around, asked some good questions, and ended up with one kick ass Merc.

Nice job. -Abone.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

40 years from now guys are going to be on their holocomputer, drinking space beer and drooling over the Pro Stock John Merc...

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Beautiful John ! I too can hardly believe its the same car ! All the time and turmoil will be completely forgotten when you get out for the 1st cruise . When does Larry expect to be done with it for you?

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

heres a photochop I did a year or so ago
    [​IMG]

19. LMAO!!!!!!

Larry is going to an event this weekend I think they'll work on it next week and since we are just fixing a few hidden metal issues (the um inner metal for the roof has some spots in the back that really should be reinforced.

20. Wow looks great John!

21. How much would you guys lower the car from it's current stance?

22. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i gotta hand it to you, that car looks incredible, you should be proud of yourself for taking your time and making the car as classy as it is right now. great job.

23. Thx.

Weird thing is, I wanted it to look blue during the day, and black at night. To me it looks more black outside, and blue inside... Is it me? I'm happy either way.

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She is looking kool!! I love the choice of color. It looks like to me that you took the
    pictures with an over cast sky. It should look more black under those conditions and
    inside you getting reflections off of the lights and that will show the blue.

The Merc has gone through some kool changes. Kan't wait to see it in person.

Happy Trails, Mick

25. Damn dude that thing looks absolutely killer!

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Looks wonderful ! Dont forget to have Larry whittle up some nice working vent windows for you with the stick right where ya have it.

27. Now I have to kill Anthony errr I mean thank you.

Actually that's kind of a sore spot for me. I really want vent windows that open but I don't have any to work with at the moment. I'll have to explore how reversible my current ones are with Larry and Mitch over at Voodoo Larry Kustoms.

I'm still feeling a kinda weak on the stainless window trim, ie. sometimes I feel like skipping it.

edit.

Mitch yes it overcast, so I guess the blue will pop more in real sun.

28. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Great save John! Patience is a virtue!

29. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Hey John, just checkin out your post and haven't talked to you in a long while. Man your Merc looks great! Glad to see you're comin along good and I can't wait to see it in person. Whats the color, hard to tell in the pics but it looks to have some blue in it? I dig the taillights the most. Saw the post when you were tryin to decide and you went the way I was hoping. Man I wish mine was that far along. Take care for now, TomCat 1

30. Tom, it's a very dark blue, based on Ford Lyons Bue. Customized mix. Your Merc is pretty nice.