Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1937 Chev Truck Build Update/question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Ok so it has been a while since I did an update reno's, work etc has really slowed progress but I got a chance to work on it again and have a bit of a dilema that I could use some advise/opinions on.

I got a set of 1940 Chev headlight buckets that I want to mold into the front fenders Westergard style but have hit a bit of a roadblock as to how to do them. My concern is if I mount the bucket so that it is complimentary to the hood sides and fender shape the headlights point in towards the center of the car but if I mount the buckets so the headlights are parallel to the front of the car the buckets look weird because they fight with the shape of the front of the car.

Here are some pictures of the bucket the way I think it looks good on the truck but the lights are not parallel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how far off the light is from parallel to the front.

[​IMG]

Now here is the bucket when the light is parallel to the front. I think it looks out of place when done like this but what do I know.

[​IMG]

So what do you guys think? Will I be able to adjust the light enough to leave it the way it is or will it look stupid and I should move the bucket so the lights are parallel? I would really appreciate any input. Oh and sorry for the shitty pictures I had to use my cell phone as my cameras batteries were dead.

2. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i think you will be able to adjust the light that far, at least enough to be able to see at night. the other way looks awkward to me. I love this truck by the way.

3. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Do you have access to a 70's VW bug headlight ring? They are wider at the top than at the bottom.

It would be interesting to see the VW ring mocked up sideways. That would give you a clue as to what it would look like

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I think your headlight length, should run in a straight line with the wheel sides of the fenders, and maybe a litle higher up towards the fender crown (not much). Forget about maximizing the paralell to the front. I believe will throw the look way off. I mounted a set on a 37 dodge front fenders and in doing it this way they came out right with a little trimming. Oh and by the way your truck with all the fenders and hood was a welcome relief to see when I opened your thread. I was expecting a channeled truck with no fenders and a rusty bed (whew) NICE JOB...John

p.s. fifth picture tail end of housing over towards outside edge of fender and trim to fit.

5. Thanks guys. I think I will swing the front out slightly and may look into the VW trim rings.

Ghost I agree about running parllel with the fender side but I don't want to go up the fender much more because right now the top of the headlight is about the same height as the top of the fender which I think gives a nice balanced look basicaally a straight line across the top.

Thanks again for the help.