Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. It really looks great! Nice job.

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thats a cool lil truck,coming right along

3. Wow. I really like your truck. Those boys don't stand a chance, they're hooked!:D Those knobby tires look just right, and reminded me of a very old post from the HAMB, the "Nuns" enjoying Hot rods thread. Anyone else remember these pics? I'm not sure who posted the thread.

Attached Files:

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

your truck looks great bro!!! thanks for documenting the build so well!

5. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

that was from a car show i hosted yrs ago. Luau for the Lowdown. the nuns were fun to hang with. haha i'm in the first pic on the 2nd row in your pics. i'm holding my hands together.

your truck is coming along great. my brother has a 28-29 i sent this to him to help motivate him.

a few more pics from that day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I finally got back to the truck after cleaning up 8 trees that blew down 2 weeks ago.

I have been working on the dash and gauges. The gauges I am using I had and are from a 52 Ford truck.
    I made this insert with a hole saw

[​IMG]

This is the stock mount behind the dash

[​IMG]

This is before cutting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and after cutting

[​IMG]

This is after I welded it
    [​IMG]

This is what it will look like. The gauges need to be cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then filled the large hole in the middle of the dash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This with the dash installed and primed

[​IMG]

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow like magic the ragged dash is like awesome again , great job on the truck

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

9. I took the gauges apart because the outer rings were really rusty

[​IMG]

I glass beaded what I could and primed and painted them silver.

[​IMG]

The gaskets were shot so I used some 5/32" push connect tubing to act as a cushion between the metal and glass.

[​IMG]

I then took a red paint pen and touched up the needles

[​IMG]

This is the finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I have been working on the wiring. I have had several obstacles to deal with but I think I am over the hump. I have the dash almost done.

[​IMG]

I did not have all the parts to make the 29 headlights work so I thought I could use the sealed beam conversion I had for a 30-31. That doesn't fit though. So now I am using 30-31 lights.

[​IMG]

This is the window trim. It came with the truck. It is pretty rusty. I cleans up ok though.

[​IMG]

You can still see the wires from the plater still on it. It was never installed. just poorly stored since 1962

[​IMG]

Here is the door with some Bling!

[​IMG]

11. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

very nice, I like the dash looks great.

12. lorodz

lorodz

dash and trim looks sweet

13. voodoo1

voodoo1

14. GDoug76

GDoug76

So I started page one and read thru the whole thread great job I was hoping when I got to the end of the thread I would find truck done. But wow im totally feeling guilty as i got a 28 rpu and i have put so little work in it to get it running. But at the same time i feel lucky

15. I wish that was true. I don't have enough time to work on it much. Don't feel too guilty. I love building these and if it was easy, there would be no challenge and no fun. I enjoy the fact that I built it. Anyone can get one done already:D

16. I was working hard on getting the truck wired but had headlight trouble. I now have them working. Here is my wiring. I still need to put it in loom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let there be light!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. patman

patman

The gauges came out great!

18. xadamx

xadamx

So cool, that's a real hot rod...using what you have or have access to and making it work. One of the best "start to current" progress threads in a while. Exciting! Ready for summertime fun.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Great thread...if I could put in my 2 cents...after you get it done, you might think about running 5.25x16's on the front and 7.00x16's on the back for a killer rubber rake.

That would allow you to drop the front end back down and not rub...for what it's worth.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Nice truck man! You have not thought about the dichotomy that arises between the oxidized metal and chrome metal ...
    May be black radiator shell?

21. Here are my two advisers on the project

[​IMG]

David putting in the bed hardware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the rear seats installed and took it out for a test drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tail lights work too!

[​IMG]

Umbrella for shade at back to the 50's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly my quickie roof. A $10 tarp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. I'll be looking for you at BTTF... this has been great fun, watching this build.

23. very nice! I've enjoyed watching your truck come together and seeing your boys helping you out. I'm sure these will be memories that last them a life time; helping Dad build a classic truck.

24. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Cool truck and I've been following this thread. I like the seats in the back for the kids which prompted a question: is that legal? I know you have sufficient seat belts and I myself would have rode back there in my youth (probably without the seats and belts) but I'm not sure if that's legal nowadays. For fairground cruzin' no problem but out on the street I just don't know and would kinda like to know (if anyone does). I had thought off and on about putting one in the back of my truck. Keep up the good work! :cool:

25. patman

patman

This picture brought back memories...how many hours have I sat with that logo in front of me?

[​IMG]

26. I was always told your waist had to be below the top rail. This setup is for fairgrounds and large car shows. Not to be driven down streets. And thanks by the way.

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looks like fun, Paul. See you in St. Paul.

28. This year I will take you for a ride!

29. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I have the rear seats installed and took it out for a test drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is freaking cool!!!! They must have the bug now!!! Good carma on you for getting them involved!
    Paul

30. This is from Back to the 50's. At one point we had 4 adults and 4 kids in it.

[​IMG]