Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1926 RPU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by inkstain27, Jan 30, 2014.

1. inkstain27

inkstain27

Here is more of a recap of my RPU build. I thought about doing a build thread awhile back but just kept working away on it instead. Now that its almost finished I thought I'd share.

I've always been a fan of modifieds and was looking for a decent body to start with. One day while cruising the web I found a guy about 45 min away with a 26-27 body for sale so I decided to go check it out. Once I got there I looked over the body and decided the price was right. He also had a bed for sale too, so after a little negotiations I had both.

The day I got it home

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. inkstain27

inkstain27

Next it was time to start gathering some parts.

The front suspension I already had which was a spring behind tube axle with hairpins. If I was to do it again I probably would have went with an I-beam but since I already had it I ran with it.

The drive train is from my father-in-law, he is a big Mustang/Shelby guy and he and a friend bought a 65 to build into a race car so they pulled the 289/c4 and asked if I wanted it. Which the answer to a free running motor/trans is always YES. He even threw in the rear end. Also got a set of WW wheels and tire from a friend for a deal and was on my way to a rolling chassis.

Other parts I got from where ever I could score a decent deal.
    The front brakes are F1 that I traded for here on the hamb. Now I just needed a find a chassis to put it all together.

I work/apprentice at a local hot rod shop part time and my boss got ahold a model a body and frame and was planning on A on 32 rails. so I was able to get the A frame for a steal. I kept the stock frame from the firewall forward and built the rear section out of 2x3, stepped it up a "few" inches in the back and retained the original A rear cross member to try and get that low modified look.

Since I had a bed now I tried to retail as much of it as possible for hauling things like tools/cooler/suitcase to car shows. once I put the bed the chassis with the body in place I decided it needed to be shorten

3. inkstain27

inkstain27

At this point I decided to finish mocking up the entire car before blowing it apart to start body work and paint. So after gathering a few more parts, I had the car into a rolling state. I was a little jealous my son got the first ride in it

more to come

4. inkstain27

inkstain27

time to move on to the body, which was in fair condition.

I had one good door and luckily a buddy of mine has a touring project that he had just purchased a full set of original doors for, so had a few extra to spare. I purchased a new back section for the cab and lower rear sections from Howell's and the rest of the patches I made. Also made a stand to get the body up to a workable height so I didn't have to work on the floor.

Next step after all the metal work was done was to finish out the chassis, so I got it all apart and cleaned up, boxed the front "A" section welded up all the holes and got it all painted gloss black. Then set up the master, rebuilt the brakes and ran the fuel, cooler, brake lines .

Next on the chopping block was the motor, First thing was to get it painted to match the chassis, Black. Wasn't a big fan of the copper that was on it.
    Then I had to raise some funds for some goodies so the car sat like this for awhile. Finally got a new intake, distributor, finned valve covers and a deal on used carb that need to be cleaned out and adjusted.

5. inkstain27

inkstain27

Time for paint. This step seemed like it was never going to end.

All primed, blocked and ready for paint

Now came the ever daunting task of picking a color. This drove me nuts for several weeks. I kept going back and forth between colors and almost decided to just put the primer body back on and run it like that, but in the end I wanted a painted car. I've always been a fan of greens and one day cane across a pic of a 60 vette that was cascade green and decided that's the one. Once I found the code for it I was off to paint store to get it and some clear to lay down on the T.

I painted it all in my garage. I set up some plastic for a makeshift booth and some fans with some filters to keep the dust at bay as much as possible. I very pleased with the results.

6. inkstain27

inkstain27

Finally time to mate the body and frame back together, so with the help of a couple of friends we secured the body to the frame.

The next couple days were spent putting all various parts back
    Radiator
    Grill
    Doors
    Windshield post
    Steering Colum
    Headlights
    Tail lights
    etc, etc, etc...

Now that it looked like a car again it was time to make it run.
    I have always been a little timid around wiring and looked into maybe having someone else do it or buying a easy DYI wiring harness. But instead I made the decision that building the harness from scratch would be a good learning experience for me.

So after spending a couple weeks researching on the HAMB and reading a couple books on hot rod wiring I felt confident enough to take on the task. I took out a piece of butcher paper and made a diagram. Drew all the components on it and after going back and forth between my manuals and notes printed of the HAMB I had something to go off of.

A lot of erasing and re-drawing haha

After a chasing down a few gremlins in the system I got it all working properly. Got to say I'm glad I did it this way, I feel like I have a much better understanding of wiring now.

It was now time to come up with and exhaust. I wanted something simple but aesthetically pleasing. I deliberated on Lake pipes, and roadster style headers but really wanted to build them myself. So again I researched T style exhaust and found a lot of photos of 60's style show t's with crazy chrome pipes which got me steered in the right direction. So I bought some flanges, a box of bends and set out to build a set of pipes. Then I came across a deal on a box of flared chrome tips and snagged them without hesitation and started putting it together.

After I welded them all up I wrapped them but left some the chrome tips showing

That about it for now, it runs, drive, stops and is a ton of fun. I've been taking it out every chance I get when the weather lets me. I'm onto getting a windshield installed and coming up with an interior all while putting some shakedown miles on it.

7. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

nice she looks good and a ton of fun i bet....

8. Nice work! I can't believe you got the body & bed so straight!!

Might have to get you down to Texas to help with mine :)

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A nice, clean, simple Hot Rod. Job well done.

10. inkstain27

inkstain27

She is, its been just barely above freezing here and hasn't stopped me from taking it out

Thanks, its not perfect, a few spots here and there. But I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks for the kind words.

11. inkstain27

inkstain27

Took a couple hours today and decided to give upholstery a try. I'll admit I'm not the greatest with a needle and thread but my hot rod budget is getting tight right now so I decided to make my own interior. Nothing fancy, but functional.

My mother-in-law is big into crafts and sewing and a few months back dropped of a box full of vinyl. So with a few other materials from the local fabric shop I now have and interior. It will work for the time being but will probably take it to an upholstery shop down the road to get something a little nicer done.

[​IMG]

12. If you would cut a piece of plywood a little smaller than the seat you could rap the edges around the wood a staple it and tighten it up,,BTW,the green piping looks great. HRP

13. inkstain27

inkstain27

That's what I did, might need to do some more pulling on it.
    I'm gonna try and get it a little tighter tomorrow

The piping does look green in the pic but its actually black, haha.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That little truck came out great. Cool build.

15. jimbanner

jimbanner

That turned out great, good job. Way to go doing everything yourself too, thanks for sharing.

16. Nice job! Thanks for posting it.

17. butch27

butch27

Dang: Thats pretty!

18. inkstain27

inkstain27

Thanks for all the positive comments, It means a lot.

Going to try and finish up the interior today. Not much left but its single digits here today and no heater for the garage. We'll se how much I get done.

19. inkstain27

inkstain27

Got seat belts installed and the interior finished up today. the bench is not secured down yet. Still need to pull on the seat to get it a little tighter.

Going to try and get it to the glass shop on Friday. Suppose to be in the 60's next week, hopefully get the windshield in and put some shake down miles on it.

[​IMG]

20. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did the same with loose seat covers - it took a hot Texas day to get the material nice hot and then a lot of patience.

I really like this build. A couple years back I unloaded a nice T roadster that was given to me. It was missing the back panel due to standing up on the rear for decades. I didn't see the potential that you pulled out of this one - nice work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. inkstain27

inkstain27

Thanks agshelby, Just dropped it off at the glass shop this morning to get the windshield installed. Drove it up there on Friday and said they couldn't get to it till Monday.
    Decided to put some miles on it and ran a couple errands in town and drove by another HAMBer who just moved to my area. He followed me home and we hung out for a while talking shop.
    The rear suspension is pretty stiff, going to try and rework the rear spring hangers this weekend and see if that helps.

22. inkstain27

inkstain27

23. inkstain27

inkstain27

Got the roadster out to the hot rod shop yesterday and put it on the lift and installed new spring hangers on the rear axle, riding much better.

Also ordered a pair of 5.60-15's for the front, should be here in a couple days. Can't wait to get them mounted.

Today I decided to install a mirror so I don't have to turn my head as much while driving. After looking at all the different options available I decided I would make a hinge mount. Using some round and flat bar laying around and a mirror from a model A hinge mount here's what I came up with.

I'm really happy with the way it came out.

24. inkstain27

inkstain27

25. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

it needs caps of some sort.

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, agshelby, will you bring your dog to the LSRU ? He looks so cool sitting there. I see dogs at the show, and he looks very well behaved. See you in April.

27. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dog died last summer - I stole that swing photo from the web (not my dog).

I wont have my RPU done this year and sold the '40 truck -

Sounds like a bad country song : Dog died, had to sell my truck to pay bills...

Let me know if you have some room in that T.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  28. Very cool RPU, like the box detailing etc. What tank did you use, im wanting to do mine that way. JW :)

29. inkstain27

inkstain27

I'm thinking about going with spider caps eventually, kinda low on the priority list for now. got a few other things to finish up first

I might need a co-pilot for the Crawl, Ill keep you updated on that

Thanks, the tank is an original oval tank that a friend of mine gave me. I had to open it up and fix one of the baffles, but other than that it was in great shape. I also installed a direct mount mechanical fuel gauge to keep an eye on the fuel level.
    Here's it mounted inside of the bed, I tried to leave as much room for road trip necessities like suitcase, tools, cooler. It all fits in there perfectly

30. inkstain27

inkstain27