Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II upper control arm bolts slip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, Sep 1, 2011.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I went for my first real shake down run yesterday and the upper control arm bolts slid back causing the camber to go WAY out ( just on 1 side ) Now I'm sure they could have been loose causing them to slide but it got me thinking with all the weight on these two bolts has anyone ever staked them or put another bolt behind them in the same slot to keep this from happening or was this just a fluke.

Thanks MrC.

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I've never had them slide on me. They must not have been tight.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Heck, when my car got whacked last year, the frame bent and the bolts didn't move... I don't see a problem here!

4. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks. Fordcrager, I'm taking her to her first club meet saturday , you know how all the last minute things pop up.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Use elastic stop nuts on them.

6. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

There isn't any weight on them any way. All the weight is from the lowers through the spring to the frame. The uppers only resist the movement of the upper ball joint side to side and front to back.

7. Happened to me once about 15-16 years ago. The front-end guy didn't tighten the bolts properly. Set up the front-end again and re-tightened them. Has been fine ever since.

8. My front end guy ground a couple of X's on my top hats. He said he does that to all MII's he aligns. I haven't had any slipping or knocked it out of alignment after a few years

Every man should leave his steel-toe boot print on the face of history.

9. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Thanks everyone for the fast replies, I will retighten and go for another run.

Thanks