Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II rack rear steer....?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Jul 3, 2011.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

A buddy of mine didnt listen to my suggestion that this would not work...now that hes got it all set up he found out what I was talking about ...a car that turns right when you move the wheel left lol ....anyone know of another rack he could use thats close to it dimension wise?? Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. SERIOUSLY?!

Install a gear to gear transfer box under the dash or at the firewall. If he couldn't figure out it was gonna work backward, I shudder to think about the bump-steer geometry...

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I think your buddy has other problems then just a backwards rack and pinion:rolleyes:.

Just out of curiosity, how did he end up in this particular predicament, did he just flip the spindles or is he using some other type of spindle? And as Exwest eluded too, there should be some severe geometry issues going on here as well.

Have him look at Unisteer, they make a rear steer MII style rack.

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

In the Jegs catalog they sell a rear steer rack set up that originally is from those Horizon-Omni Mopar cars

5. chopitdano

chopitdano

I second the k-car mopar...

6. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Call Fatman. I think they recommend a late 80s VW Rabbit R&P for rear steer.
    I think those are easier to find than the Omni rack.

7. thaugen

thaugen

8. badshifter

badshifter

Anyone that dumb does not deserve help.

9. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Might want to look at Chevy Cavaliers and Corsicas as well.

10. Fenders

Fenders

He can flip the rack upside down...
    oh, then he will have to move the steering wheel to the right side.
    Um, them he might wanna ship the car to Great Britain.....

11. George/Maine

George/Maine

FlamingRiver has a rear steer rack not cheap.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Well...not everyone is born with your natural mechanical ability I guess!:(

I KNOW the person he's talking of and his body fabrication/structure capabilities and his work ethic would blow pretty much ANYONE out of the water.

Most people make a really stupid mistake now and then, despite the fact that they're quite capable and usually right on top of things!
    I'm always making mistakes myself...but thats life and it keeps me learnin' stuff so I'm not ashamed to say it.

I'd hate to know everything!!!!!

Regarding the OP's problem....I'd locate the OEM inner pivot points of the suspension and find a rear steer rack that closely duplicates the geometry. Omni, K car and Cavalier are good places to start, depending on where the actual OEM pivot points are...but they certainly aren't the only potential choices.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Regarding the OP's problem....I'd locate the OEM inner pivot points of the suspension and find a rear steer rack that closely duplicates the geometry. Omni, K car and Cavalier are good places to start, depending on where the actual OEM pivot points are...but they certainly aren't the only potential choices.[/QUOTE]

Those were what I suggested to him yesterday...havent talked to him today though, at least he's laughing about it :eek: See you guys on Friday (I think?) Bill.

14. badshifter

badshifter

Spin it any way you want. If he can turn a rack left and right and still not know that it's steering backwards, he'll need that great work ethic just to fix all the mistakes he's building. You are right about one thing. Your first statement.
    But hey, at least I'm humble.

15. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

i used a geo metro manual rack on a situation like this. He has a rack for infront of the spindle steering not a behind the spindle rack

16. Just have to wonder how in the hell you could possibly "engineer" a front suspension system, cycle it to check for bump steer and NOT notice that it steered backwards. Really makes me wonder about the rest of the installation. What other wrong things will it do when it goes down the road.
    What kind of suspension was he adapting the MII rack to?

17. This is a Cavalier rack. Mustang spindals. I don't have a better photo right now. I nave to mention, The turning radius sucks.

Attached Files: