Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II dropped Upright Brake issue's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I searched but couldnt find my answer so I will ask with the hopes someone else traveled this same path before me.

I bought MustangII dropped spindles from a local Rod shop. (Kennys) he claimed they worked with the stock brakes. SO far, all is good, until I went to mount up the caliper. The brake line screws into the caliper, and the brass fitting on the brake hose hits the upper ball joint bolt.

It looks like, since the spindle was moved up, so was the caliper bracket, and so on.... SO now, what are my options. Is there a different line? or upgrade to a big brake kit?

2. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Installed my dropped spindles from Speedway a couple of weeks ago. Stock calipers bolted right up. Maybe you can cross reference their part to what you bought?

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've had so many issues with variances in design causing issues with the brake hoses that we stopped using the stock brakes, all together, in favor of GM stuff.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I was hopin mine was gonna bolt right up as they said.... Anyways, The brass fitting at the end of the rubber line going into the caliper hits the ball joint.

Atempting to bend will caus it to crack I am sure. So I am assuming at this point, I have 2 options. 1-Go back to stock spindle, or 2 change the brakes.

Steve do you have your part number? and the rubber lines, mine sure are tight with the new spindle anyways. Perhaps there is a rubber line change out?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do your lines have a long metal section at the end that screws into the caliper?
    [​IMG]

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Item # 91034304

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my memory serves me, I think on the last one we used a 7/16-24 to AN-3 adapter and went with a generic braided line to a AN-3 to 3/8-24 IFF adapter, with the brake clip ridge on it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Yes that is exactly what I have

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Thanks.... I am hopin perhaos a fitting inline, other wise I will just up grade the brakes, and go for the wider stance....

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a hollowed out area adjacent to the upper ball joint, that the hose is "supposed" to fit in. Every single setup I have one, with the stock brakes, they hit. I have tweaked the metal end of the hose in the past. I am not proud of that. Nothing failed, but hardly what I would expect that I would have to do with parts that are "supposed to fit".
    [​IMG]

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

mine does not have that area. But even if it did, the brass on the hose its dead nuts on the ball joint thread.... Thats stick through the crown bolt...

The only way it can work is to either change the hose, or change the brakes... I see Speedway sells a kit with a banjo fitting on the end and an adaptor

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hose would be a little bit easier.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Well I decided, to order the Big Brake kit from Speedway. #91031943.

Even if I fix the brake issue with an adapter and banjo fitting, I still have the close problem of the tie rod end, so this kit widens the stand 1 inch which should correct the clearance problem. It has the smaller GM calipers so it should fit in 14 inch rims.....

I didnt plan on doing the big brakes, I dont tail gate, and really dont brake all that hard, the 9 inchers where plenty. But when it comes to brakes, the thought of adapter fittings ect, isnt sitting well in my head.

I hope there are no more hidden costs.....

14. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

sometimes when you go with the big brake kit with GM calipers it changes the location of your wheels(set them out towards the fender more, usually about 1/2 " each side) may not be a problem but you might want to check first!

15. George/Maine

George/Maine

You may want to try Speedways brackets for small GM caliprs,and banjoes lines.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Have you talked to Kenny about all this?
    I cant believe he wouldn’t help you out ………. One of the best dudes ever

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I think we might be talking about 2 different Kennys... The shop I am dealin with is in Newton Falls Ohio. Kenny, the old man IS a great guy, and supports all the local shows with great door prizes. So I try to buy from them first. His son is the counter guy, and is very difficult to deal with.

I did deal with him (son) before I ordered. He quoted me prices that where pretty high, $389, and the brake lines where $59 more on top of his big kit.

Its just a bad situation turned worse.

18. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

This wider stance will help me, I have almost no clearance between the rim and tie rod. Thanks for the heads up

19. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

They will be in the kit. I could have bought the Banjo lines and brass adapters, but besides clearance issues at the tie rod end, I dont feel comfortable with an adaptor fitting on my brakes. It doesnt sit well. Not like a drain under a sink ya know.

Bottom line, I just want it right, and there is always the unforseen when modifying...Thanks for the input....

20. George/Maine

George/Maine

If you have stock Ford brakes you may have problem.
    Most kits are for GM and mertric work best.
    You will most likely have to change were you mount line,the bango lines maybe as long as 18"
    Best buy the kit and get 11" rotors.

21. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I am confused, I bought from Speedway 11" Brake kit using GM calipers, and 5 on 4/34 bolt pattern rotors. #91031943.

SO which kit are you talkin about?

22. George/Maine

George/Maine

The kit you have is the one.They do say to make sure you have the brackets on the correct side,left and right.I think they are marked.You may need longer banjoe lines if you still have a problem.Speedway sells them for stock and dropped spindles.
    I thought the new brackets were made very nice, not a flame cut piece of steel, but a good casing.

23. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Cool, the lines I have coming are 18 inch ones as well...

24. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I am done. The kit from Speedway was spot on.

I couldnt figure out why they sent extra races.... Well I learned, the races in the rotors have to be changed.....I also understand why the brackets have to be on the right side.... Even though they are exactly the same, the bracket is ever so slightly set to one side, squaring up the caliper to rotor....

Great Kit,