Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang 8.8 rear-end.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28Abone, Feb 17, 2007.

1. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

Hi everyone my question is I have a 8.8 Mustang rear-end in my Model A and dam it if it was'nt too wide my first hot-rod, (bad choice)
    Any way I was wondering if a set of Ford Ranger axles would fit (same spline) An how wide is a stock Ford Ranger rear-end is?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    28Abone. :)

2. Ramblux

Ramblux

Ranger 7.5 is 56.5 inches, not sure about the 8.8 though. Couple inches wider IIRC.

3. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Ranger axle is offset to the passenger side.You need to use (2) driver side Ranger axles to make the Mustang 8.8 into a 5-lug rear.Passenger side Aerostar axles are also the same length.

A good choice to start with in older cars is an 8.8 out of an Explorer.

4. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Not all Ranger`s are 7.5`s though BTW,just like not all mustang`s are 8.8`s....however...the brakes,backing plates,and axles are identical in both the 7.5 and 8.8. All Explorers hare 8.8`s with 31-spline.Mustangs and Rangers have 28-spline,unless itsa newer Ranger FX4 Lvl 2 which has a Torsen Diff.

Most Explorers have posi`s,with usually either 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratios.

Only the 5.0 Mustangs,and some 4x4 Ranger`s had a posi.

Need to know anything else?

5. Frank

Frank

I imagine if you wanted to narrow the rear you have, maybe using a pair of the short side Ranger axles could get you the width you want without having to spend a lot of money on custom new narrowed axles.

6. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

do you know what year mustang the rear end came from? If its 4 lug its 85'-93' 5 lug probably 94' up. The axle shafts in the 94' up models stick out 3/4"s of an inch more on each side.

this place is handy for rear brake info and axle length on 8.8's
    www.svo73mm.cjb.net

7. Bugman

Bugman

Dunno about the rangers, but the 8.8 Explorers are tough as nails. You can even get them in yards with 3.73s and factory lockers. We use them at work. To fit them under a '55 T-bird, we use two short side axles, and they're the perfect width.