Register now to get rid of these ads!

muncie 4 speed shifter adjustment???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk runner jr, Aug 31, 2008.

1. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

Ok we are ready to take the maiden voyage in dads T but we can't seem to get it to shift in and out of gear properly. Its a SBC with a Muncie 4 speed behind it. I am going off of the assumption that the shifter linkage is a Hurst since the arm is the standard chrome Hurst shifter we all know. It came on the tranny so no way to know for sure. Does any one have a set of instruction handy that they can scan for me.

We have been busting butt on this thing lately trying to get it on the road so he can enjoy it before his health deteriorates any further but its been fighting us all the way.

2. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

Oh and just so I can rule out the clutch How far should the clutch fork move when the clutch is depressed? We used a Toyota clutch master and slave cylinder and are getting about 3/4 inch of throw is that enough for the Muncie?

3. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

4. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

how much free play between the throw out bearing and pressure plate?

5. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I am not entirely sure. how do I check it. I can tell you this the rod between the slave cylinder and the fork does not have a ton of play but tit is loose enought to turn with your fingers.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The clutch pedal should have roughly one inch travel before it feels like it's actually pusing on the clutch. The clutch needs to be fully released before the pedal reaches the floor or the end of it's travel, you can tell this by turning the rear wheel or driveshaft with the trans in gear.

Also the shifter adjustment....there should be a 1/4" diameter hole in the shifter, below the pivot bolt, adjust all the linkages so that a 1/4" bolt will go into the hole when the trans is in neutral. One way to do this is to disconnect the rods and put the shifter in neutral with the bolt in it, then make sure the levers on the trans are all in neutral, and adjust each rod before reconnecting it so that the linkage fits just right.

7. badlefihand

badlefihand

I have landcruiser master and slave with a muncie,get about 1 inch travel and seems a little short.You may want to look up Toyota specs on free play,on the landcruiser it only calls for 1/8",I think the master does not pump fluid until piston is depressed slightly to alow port to open which would allow some free play.The return spring on toyota pedal is pretty stout,I did not use rather I used the 58 chev spring that hooks to clutch fork. If you have the bellhousing cover off with pedal up reach up and turn throwout bearing,adjust slave cyl until you feel slight drag on it.As clutch wears I hope to get a little less pedal. I think that is about the best that can be done with the short throw.Hope this helps,That is how I had to adjust.

8. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

To adjust the shifter you need a 1/8 diameter rod. Place the trans in neutral then remove the shift levers. Slide in cross pin into shifter arms that come out under shifter body. Once the pin is in, adjust all the rods out so the levers just slide onto the keyways. To check if clutch is disengaging enough, jack rear end off of floor-push pedal in and have someone rotate driveshaft with trans in gear (engine not running). If driveshaft rotates the clutch is disengaging.

9. 1superfastsleepernova

1superfastsleepernova
    from missouri

I have a 72 nova, I have always had a 350 turbo, changed a year ago to a Muncie 4speed. Best choice I have ever made..... It has a 535 hp smc with a 456 gear strange spool, (this is a street car) I dump the clutch at 7000 rpm and shift at 7200. Sometimes I have trouble with it getting stuck in 1st gear, I had trouble burning clutches up after the thrid dump. I have changed to a race clutch set up fdrom borg and beck. After installing new clutch assy, I had 1/2nd and no 3/4, I installed the 1/4inch align tool in shifter adjusted rods with levers all in nuetral, now its hard to go in all gears except reverse, it will go in 1/2 easy and 3/4 hard or visevers. I have tried several times adjusting this to correct problem. I have read all the procedures on line and in a gm service manual. I do not know how to work on munices. Can someone that has the knowledge that I do not have, give me some ideas. This is my sons car I Built for him, He is in Japan serving in the Marine Corps and I would like to get it straight. I have a 90 camaro to build as well so we can run together when he returns on leave. thank you.

10. Dennis D

Dennis D

What part of Mo. are you in? I may be able to help. Dennis D