Register now to get rid of these ads!

mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelnut46, Jan 6, 2004.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

Flowmaster mufflers are awfully expensive. what other mufflers are you guys using?

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

V-force is a Flowmaster clone that sounds about the same. Check some muffler shops. Flowmaster just had a price increase (spring time is coming)

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

......are overrated. Glasspacks or steelpacks.

4. glass packs or smithy's........ the shorter the better. [​IMG]

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i think i have glasspacks,but i think all the packing fell out of the rust holes... [​IMG]

6. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Super turbos, or Hemi Super turbos for a real low tone(a lil' too quiet for me). They last quite awhile(unless you do the old water trick)and the longer you have them the better they sound.
    -Jesse

7. JSM56

JSM56

who needs mufflers?

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Flowmaster???????
    What is this, a Mustang 5.0 forum?
    Brockman Mello-Tone Mufflers
    Steel, glass, or NO packing!

9. Sinner

Sinner

Try hooker aero-chamber mufflers, they don't have that "tin can" sound like a flowmaster and the're cheaper too.

10. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I bought two 12 inch glass packs at York a couple of years ago. It's still too quite.....I can still hear my wife at 65 MPH.

11. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

The hemi turbo is what i am running on the wifes 64 mustang , they sound great w/ the riY headers .Flows on the work truck "only cuz it came w/ it " .I had smithys on the Y-block and would run those on a flattie too .Some set-ups are beggin not to have mufflers at all , but that depends on johnny LAW .Here every Harley runs open pipes and gets away w/ it but if your old hotrod is too loud , here is yer ticket .I guess it depends on what car and set-up your running .

12. Bugman

Bugman

Thrush Turbo's seem to work pertty good, and their cheap too. Or if you don't mind used, e-gay usually has some used flowmasters.

13. Got walker turbos on the Galaxie (21/2") they're alright. Kinda sounds like a speedboat at idle.

I'm ran 3" Terminaters(Flowtech) behind the motor for the F-Truck , they run about 10-15 less than Flowmasters. Real mellow until you nail it.

I'm going with Glass or Steel packs when I get back up n runnin', 21/2". But I'm trying to get back to my roots (and they're realitivly cheap).

Nothin sounds like an old glasspack when its backin' down. [​IMG]

14. wheelnut46

wheelnut46
    from RI, USA

The mufflers being replaced are the glasspacks and skinny pipes on my daily family driver GMC 4x4 pickup. They sound OK but I was looking for more performance for towing, better mileage etc.
    Thanks for the input so far.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When I built the headers on Fuelpump's '37 we used RED HOT cherry bombs from Northern supply. They are cheap and give off that "I'm living my second childhood" obnoxious sound that makes you pick your foot up off the throttle a bit when the LAW is in the neighborhood. I've found the older I get when I'm being a JERK the look you get from law officers (which are usually 20-30 yrs younger) is the same look I used to give little children when I knew they didn't have a clue.

Frank