Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Muffler advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Willywash, Oct 29, 2021.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've had my Coupe for 31 years.

First 10 I had Super Trap mufflers welded to the outside headers which stopped at the front of the door = Loud and stinky.

The 2nd 18 years I had 24" Cherry Bombs under the car that stopped at the rear axle = Good sound and acceptable
    noise level, we could talk with some elevated voice levels.

My current version is under chassis style headers with 2-1/2" straight pipe exhaust all the way to the rear of the body and although it's loud behind the car, inside it's really decent. The reason I don't have any mufflers is that I built the car so low and only could squeeze 12" long glass packs in there and I don't feel there would be any real benefit in noise reduction. If I had the room, I'd use 36" long Cherry Bombs.

Just Gary likes this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Another vote for Hushpower II's. I use the 12 inch version under my 32's. Good rumble with no drone.

3. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

Brockman mellowtones. 22 inches long ... but changing to 12 inch. The long ones are too quiet for my liking
    IMG_2668.JPG

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  4. heatwav

heatwav

I am wrestling with a loud exhaust too. I tried to eliminate noise with new longer exhaust hangers. Then, I tried insulating the trunk. I tried two Borla 40658 on the 1946 coupe. They are quiet on the hwy but a little too loud for around town. I like the Borla quality. At 73, I sometimes I think I should have went with Walker Quiet Flow 3.

SS327 likes this.
  5. My uncle would make his own mufflers.
    He used belt rollers from the coal mines.
    Welded whatever size ends he needed.
    Sounded good

Hillbilly Werewolf and SS327 like this.
  6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Use a Big-Bore single exhaust with a decent muffler.

After hanging around "road-racing cars" my whole life, any street V8 with dual exhaust sounds like a Farmall tractor .

7. I had spin tech on an OT car and it rusted to bits within 3 yrs, driving in salt which most rods won't encounter. And drone isn't always eliminated by pipes out the rear, ask any LS1 fbody owner. LM1 drones bad enough to make you look forward to going to the dentist just to hear that wonderful drill....

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used FM 70 series with circle track augers in front of them. That really helps with interior resonance. There are deflectors available to rivet in front of the end tips too.

9. atch

atch

Jimmy, (or anybody)

Please fill me in on these as I've never heard the term.

Thanx.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summitracing.com search “exhaust auger”. I use the Patriots, slide them in the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler, cut a slot or 2 in the pipe and mig weld in the slots..
    The other company sells the welded in a piece of exhaust tubing for more $$$$$. Speedway also sells them.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I tend to buy the polished turbo mufflers Summit sells. Cheap enough and they look good.

12. Blake 27

Blake 27

AHotRod likes this.