Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving a car with only half a member

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobuckets, Mar 2, 2006.

1. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

half a third member... I am trying to pick up a donor car for my '36 pickup project and the guy selling it to me sold half of the rear axle to one of his buddies. It's a '57 merc 4door, so I'm harvesting the y-block and possibly trans, but part of the deal is to take the whole car. Question is, what is the least painful way to move this big ol' car around? I thought about picking up a junk late 80s ranger axle and performing a field swap to get it on and off the trailor or possibly rigging up a dolly for the side with no wheel.

Anyone have experience with this? I've read some good trailer stories on here, so I'm sure someone has a better idea than me. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. I've jacked 'em up and backed the trailer under the offending end, then set it on a furnature dolly and winched it to the front of the trailer. Not the ideal situation but it works.

Does the car have axles and no 3rd member? of so you can take a length of pipe to slide over the ends of the axles, slide tha axles home with the pipe in the middle and tighten it down on the axles with a couple of set screws tapped into holes in the pipe. Probably wouldn't try and tow one that way but it works for rolling one around.

No doubt the other fellas have other solutions.

3. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

try to find a caster wheel or trailer drawbar wheel you know the one that jacks down. make up some plates and attach to the spring with all thread . save you buying a rear axle that you have no use for mike

4. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Well, back in the roundy-round days, when we wrecked 'em, sometimes we had to stick a floorjack under the dead corner and push it up that way. Takes more than 2 people though.

Got another axle that will fit? doesn't have to be perfect, just so long as it could roll that way.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Check out the rear axle in a front drive minivan, if it is wide enough it should swap in and make a roller out of that doner car.

6. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Thanks for the ideas. The missing part is the left rear axle. But the guy thinks the drum is still there, for what its worth. Not much. I'll go in with a few different options and we'll see what happens.

Anyone else?

7. ...if you can jack the rear of the car up high enuf to clear the trailer, you can back the trailer under it, then place a 1 or 2 foot piece of 2x12 and a 6x6 wood block (or even a bare wheel rim) under the drum that has no axle, then winch it onto the trailer. The 2x12 will just slide along on the trailer. Instead of 2x12 you can use a foot or foot and a half square piece of 3/4 inch plywood.

...another idea is to bolt any car wheel to the drum if it turns. You can sometimes blow holes in a car wheel w/ a torch to bolt it onto a different drum.

8. Contact me before you "junk" the rest of that 57 Merc.:eek:

Seriously.

Thanks, Ray

9. BELLM

BELLM

I have a A frame that is built out of 2 3/8 pipe that comes apart. Had it for 40years. Use it & a tractor with a boom regularly to load & unload cars with nothing under it.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Moving a car with only half a member?
    Sounds like a pickle slicer accident....That musta hurt!