Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Motors that have sat for years--- (Question)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Jun 23, 2019.

1. I came across a car that guy is selling that sat for approx. 17 years -- (body & frame )in fine shape.

Question ; what are the possibilities that the motor ( 6 cyl chevy ) in that car is ok/reliable? I was told guy recently started it up.

What would you do ? Can you trust such a motor?

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Listen to it run, can make a pretty good assement then...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

yup, if he recently started it up, he can do it again. If not, then he's blowing smoke, and you should count on the engine being junk.

Of course, just starting it up wont' necessarily tell you how good it is, there could be lots of issues with it that make it junk. Cracks, oil burning, low compression, etc.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Even if it starts and runs well a major concern is corrosion that you can't see. For example, aircraft that have sat outside or even in the hanger for extended lengths of time tend to get corrosion on things like the camshaft. Get it fired up and give it a test flight, that can get exciting in a hurry as it can quickly wipe the cam. On that engine(air cooled) we can pull a cylinder to take a look, not so easy in a car engine situation. Then again, if the car wipes a cam you might be in for just a walk. I'd stay close to home for awhile at least.

5. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I started up a 54 chevy 2 ton, Grandpa rebuilt the engine, pretty sure it was a newer 235.
    Point is, after rebuilt, then Grandpa passed away, then the truck sat for years.
    I started the motor and it ran sweet, pulled the valve cover off and it took 15 minutes for oil to get to the top end and lubricate the rockers ... even then the oil was slow to move.
    They sit, and they will need attention.

My avatar starts and runs great, sat for years. Until I get it on the road I have no idea if I need to rebuild the motor, or if I will get lucky and it settles down.. It likes to drink oil as is.
    But only after it warms up.
    I expect I can drive it for a couple months, then rebuild it.
    Who knows, maybe I will get lucky and the rings and valves will re-seat with miles driven.
    That is like betting on a inside straight in a poker game ... bad choice.
    Just because it starts and runs ... is a good sign, but not a deal maker.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I always figure if it starts and runs, I can be fairly certain there's still enough good parts in it for a rebuild.
    Experience has taught me to be wary of the "it ran when I parked it" or the "I had it started a little while ago". They usually get parked because the engine is tired.............or toasted.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. The prep and care on a setting and rotting first start can make a big difference on the success without damage to internal componets. you could take a compression test that will give some indicastion of cond. If it runs drive it down a long hill shift down into second let off the gas and see if it blows a cloud of smoke after you accelerate. If it has excessive Puff Back (blow By ) out the oil fill or road draft the compressis leaking past the pistons & rings. If your not real experienced . Hire a mechanic to come and help you examine it. It might bee the best money you spend.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. ...I've used motors,...mostly Chevy 230's ,250'sand 292 sixes,...that have sat for years w/o starting or even turning em over that have given years of service w/o anything other than fresh fluids and a tune-up,..don't be afraid of a Chevy six...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

I always wondered if the valve springs on the valves that sat open for years would loose some height or spring back, or be weaker then the ones that sat closed. Anyone have any experience with this?

10. The 235’s are a stout engine
    I would want to see it running
    A running and driving ( even yard driving ) car is worth more then one parked. Unknown.

Would still need a tear down, full inspection and at the least new gaskets and clean up for me. This is way cheaper then a rebuild mind you.

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '51 Merc engine that I bought about 25 years ago for the crankshaft. Two years ago, the engine in my '51 Ford started making a funny noise, so I decided it was time to replace it. I put the Merc on my test stand to see what I had. It wasn't stuck, so I decided to perform a compression test. To my amazement, it had over 100 lbs on all eight cylinders. I then decided to get it started to see if it smoked, rattled or anything. It started right up and ran perfectly. I cleaned everything up and ran it for a while just to make sure and it ran cool with excellent oil pressure. After a couple of hours run time, I came to the conclusion that it needed nothing. I cleaned it up and painted it. Then I bolted on a set of finned heads, a 2GC, and an old Mallory dual point. I have been driving the car for the last two years and it runs great and has a lot of power for what it is, and, it doesn't leak oil. This from a "parts" engine.

One thing I did when it was running on the stand was to get the cooling system as clean as I could, first with a regular flush, and then a couple of overnight sessions with "Evaporust". So, I guess if an engine is stored under the proper conditions, it could still be good for a long time. I have a rebuilt '51 Olds rocket that has been sitting for at least as long that's going on the test stand next. That test stand has been very useful and has saved me a lot of money.