Register now to get rid of these ads!

motor swap kits for 49-51 mercs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mongo51, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mongo51

mongo51

I did a search and could not find what I was looking for. so I thought I'd ask. There was a guy on here selling 350-350 swap kits can anyone tell me who this was?

2. bttt for the curious.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having had a 51 in the past I can't see where you would need to spend the money someone would want for a kit.

Slip the engine and trans into place and figure out how to mount the trans. I can't remember if I had to add a piece to the crossmember when I put the 350 Olds and turbo 350 in mine or not but it went in pretty simply. I think that there is a bit of interference between the bellhousing partt of the trans and the bottom lip of the firewall. Once you have the engine sitting in the correct spot length wise and the trans mounted, level the carb and figure out your front mounts. A pair of Chev mounts that bolt to the crossmember and use the 58/60 something style mounts should work with a bit of fitting.

4. Ya, ditto that. If your brave enough to do a motor swap you can adapt chevy mounts to work. Same goes for the tranny cross member. Get a cross member for the 350 turbo your using and use that as your reference point.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

pretty simple to do. these were a piece of 1X2 with a downward brace and the tube for the bolt welded to the end. if you take your time and measure out the stuff, the firewall doesnt need to be trimmed and the trans will line up to the rear cross member with some new holes. they fit pretty nice

Attached Files: