Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most suitable transplant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NH Gearhead, May 28, 2012.

1. NH Gearhead

NH Gearhead

I just purchased a 56 Studebaker 1/2 ton pickup.It's a slightly rough (but safe)driver.I've decided to run the flathead 6 until something expensive goes bang and then it's time for an upgrade.I'd like to keep the stock front axle configuration (not a Camaro clip).I know a bunch of you have built these trucks and I was looking for suggestions for a V8 swap.I'd like a Caddy (472-500) but I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. I drive a 49 F-1 with a stock front axle .It has a SBC in it and drives good . While I"m sure a 500 Cad has been put in a Stude pu before IMHO it would be nose heavy and lose its driveability without upgrading the front suspension. But it would flat be able to roast some tires. A small V-8 would be a better choice without front suspension upgrades. If you can find one why not use a Stude V-8. Also consider upgrading your brakes when you get to the point of the swap.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A srock Stude V8 will weigh just about the same as the 472/500 Caddy. The Cad is thinwall design/construction and the Stude is not. However, that said, I would agree that the big Cad is way overkill for a lightweight vehicle, especially a pickup, and a lighter, smaller displacement engine choice would likely result in a more enjoyable daily driver.

Ray

4. The Cadillac weighs 625 Lbs. the SBC with iron heads weighs 575 Lbs.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

MY "way overkill" comment was not related to the Caddy's weight specifically, but to it's enormous torque and, of course, it cubic inches.......and I LIKE them!..Just not the best choice for all vehicles.

Ray

6. HamD

HamD

Years back, a friend's Dad had a 440 / Torqueflite combo in his Stude truck.

Maybe you should let the future powertrain find you.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There is a reason so many sbc engines have been transplanted into virtually every make and model of car and truck over the years. Yes, some might say they are overdone, but I don't think any other engine can be swapped and built so easily or cheaply.

And that is coming from a Ford and Oldmobile guy. :D

Don

8. Swifster

Swifster

A SBC is an easy swap. BUT, the Stude V8 is even easier. It's already designed for it. No screwing around trying to get a trans to fit. There are planty of Stude V8s out there. Depending on the trans you have, you may not even have to upgrade the trans.

Another way of looking at it (as this was explained to me), do you really want to open the hood and have the same engine as everyone else. A 259 or a 289 will work fine, wake up the truck from where it is now, and will be a talking piece along with the rest of the truck. Not a lot of speed equipment, but enough vintage bling to make it look nice.

Hit up the Studebaker Drivers Club and enjoy some Kool-Aid...

9. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

A caddy 500 is cool, but a nailhead is way cooler!

10. litherlandhans

litherlandhans
    from london

I don't think any other engine can be swapped and built so easily or cheaply.

[​IMG]

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

X 2 just what I was going to say

caddy 429/472/500
    newer 455 buick or even 350 buick

12. NH Gearhead

NH Gearhead

Ok,I'd also love a Nailhead.But in my area,they are pretty scarce and pricey when you can find them.

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

ABC, anything but chuvvey

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you thought about the cost of gas? I always feel a pang when someone talks about putting a Cad 500, Chrysler hemi, 440 Chev etc into something. I know it sounds cool and looks cool but filling the tank can be painful unless you never actually drive the thing.

On the whole you might be happier with a good small block.

15. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

go big 500 ci sounds great in a stude!

16. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

My vote, the stude v8.... How can you go wrong? It'll fit like it was supposed to be there and the gennie cool factor will be swank!

17. jroberts

jroberts

Naturally my first choice would also be a Stude V-8. The V-8 was available for your truck, thus the pieces needed for such a swap are out there. Studebaker V-8's of all sizes are essentially the same. These engines are out there and affordable. Last time I looked there were even a couple in the H.A.M.B. classfieds. I have an R1 Avanti V-8 in my Champ pickup with a T-86 three speed tranny with overdrive. It cruises great on the interstate and does just tine around town. The overdrive eally helps the gas mileage. You could easily also put a T-10 behind a such an engine with little trouble.

18. aircap

aircap

You could ask over on the Studebaker Driver's Club forum or Racing Studebakers.
    There are lots of non-stock motored Stude trucks in both places.

19. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Personally I am for a Ford 351w . You can tons of power and torque from that engine ! It's small enough to fit in just about anything out there and parts are cheap too.
    Of course you can always pick up a dirt cheap 302/5.0 engine and there are tons of very cheap performance parts out there for them Thanks to the Mustangs . they are light and small and will fit in anything you can build . Back it up with a T-5 or a AOD and you are set to go !
    Yes that Caddy would be really assume to have under the hood but I think that engine would be better in a roadster or coupe .
    As for the SBC , that engine has been stuffed into just about everything and it's nothing but the "Same Ole" engine that everyone seems to use ! So if you want what everyone else has then use the SBC engine !
    Just my opinion .

Retro Jim

20. 73RR

73RR

What the hell is that ??????????????????

Oh yeah, if you are swapping then look at a 318/360.

21. trbomax

trbomax

440 chev is a bb 427 +0.60

22. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, NH;

Or, you could look for another Champ 6 (just makes it easier) if you don't want to tear into yours while it's running; flattie or OHV, go through it, putting in a few choice pieces, putting on a few fun items. (Turbo, blower, etc). Stuff is out there, but headers, intake, turbo ducting, etc isn't hard to make. There are a few hard-core guys in the SDC group, who can supply you w/the items & info you need, w/o spending yourself stupid. & the more *you* fab, the cheaper it gets, + the cool factor - if you need that. :D .

& you'd like the OD, also.

For grins: turbostude.com

Fun little mill, esp hopped up.

If not that, like a few others, I'd strongly suggest the stude v-8.
    If you absolutely have to sbc-it, at least get the bragging rights by using a McKinnon. Be a real good base for serious hopping-up.

Marcus...