Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most effective portable burnout surfaces????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Jul 5, 2012.

1. My club is doing it's second burnout competition in a couple of weeks. Last year we did it in a private parking lot.

We want to prevent expensive repairs this year, so we want a portable surface we can take to different locations.

Has anyone experimented with steel for a burnout surface? Does it make the crowd just as happy?

This fellow seemed to be entertaining, OT car not withstanding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFdCKRlgQVQ&feature=em-share_video_user

Do you have any pictures to back-up your advice?

Doug

2. It's better to fade away.

3. Do you mean I shouldn't ask this here?

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Of all the car contests the one I get the least is a burnout contest. (Well that, and a flame thrower contest) I guess to each his own, but what is the point ? All you do is ruin a good set of tires and only proved that your car has no traction.

Don

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I agree with Don. I'll never understand that. It can't be to show power. Any car will smoke the tires, if you hold the brake and lay on the gas. It's the kind of thing that I would have enjoyed if I was... 12-13 years old. Being all grown up, my expectations for what is cool are high.

As to your question, aside from towing around a slab of asphalt on a trailer, I can't think of any portable burn out surfaces.

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

The aussies seem to love a good ol fashion burn out contest and I have seen (on youtube....its on the internet so it MUST be true) them use chunks on plate steel....

dimentions, I dunno....what about finding a spot with a concrete pad they dont care about?

7. Actually want to do it for intermission at an event we are putting on, so kind of needs to be portable.

We are a bunch of old guys trying to get younger guys interested in what we do.

8. Take burnouts away from drag racing and watch what happens. It's one of the best parts

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Burn out contests, for me, rank right down there with Patina contests.

10. Just remember that sucker will be hot for a good while after the contest is over.

11. stirlingmac

stirlingmac

Downunder the burnouts aren't usually static...check this for an example of an OT car being given heaps...
    http://youtu.be/9tNj7HG5Ow4

12. bridger

bridger

Shit you guys must be boring !! What the hell do you do at car shows ? Sit next to your car in a deck chair and drink coffee ? Your never to old to act like a kid.

13. bridger

bridger

Oh and static burnouts, what's the go with that crap???

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what ever you use make sure its held down really well..if that sucker shoots out. it could fuck some shit up!

15. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

X2 man. and i dont get burn outs either, but what the fuck, if people enjoy it why the hell not! i mean, its not that everyone must like the same shit i do.

Swedes are crazy about it btw :) and maybe if i wasnt poor as fuk i'd smoke a few pairs too, but tires for me are 3/4 of a months pay :(

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Anything portable has the potential to be dangerous, unless it weighs many tons.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I did a burnout contest years ago where the surface was a heavy, smooth steel plate that was wet down with water. It seemed to work pretty well and didn't damage the pavement. Obviously the logistics of hauling this huge steel plate will be difficult, but I don't see many other options

18. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

While I'm not a big fan of burnout contests, I make sure to roast the remaining tread off my tires just before I put new ones on. It only happens every few years so I get a kick out of it.

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

20. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Burnouts are cool. At the Car Craft show in St Paul,MN, they use a steel plate to do the burnouts on. Wheel chocks are used in front of the front tires. Spectators are kept a safe distance away. Safety is very important, bacause a car doing a burnout could hook up and go shooting out and hit someone.

21. Larger motorcycle events all have a burn out contest. Usually sponsored by some tire manufacturer that is on site selling & installing tires at a discount for the event. The winner/s get a new tire or set of tires. Most all entrants need a new tire anyways, it provides a chance to show off by shredding it and possibly win a tire or two instead of just buying one. If you just burnt your tire to shreds, who better to get one from than the guys 20' away doing it cheap. Everyone wins, spectators, entrants, and sponsors.

Bikini shows are fun but is nothing compared to a good old fashioned pickle licking contest....

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

Or a hot dog contest...
    [​IMG]

23. They serve a practical purpose there.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I agree with the general consensus on burnout contests, but that doesnt really address Dougs question. I too have seen the steel plates used, seemed to work pretty good.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and a wet t-shirt contest is WAYYYYY better, but hey, I was around in the seventies...Now where did I put that "show your tits for beer" sign...

27. derpr

derpr

I like the hot dog contest

28. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I think that for the guys that want to burn their tires, they should stack them up arouud themselvs and with a little bit of gas, they could make a really good smoke out!

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I'm burned out.

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida