Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Car Show Have Lost It.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Aug 30, 2010.

1. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

I used to go to the car shows to see the cars..Now I go to visit with my car friends, because it seems like that's the only time I see them any more...

hot rod or street rod show, doesn't matter, I'm there because of the people

2. LULL

LULL

I recomend you get your ass to K.C. this weekend for the Greaserama! You'll feel much better!

3. 48reo

48reo

I just like to see something interesting, alot of times different covers that.
    well if nothing else this thread makes me feel better about throwing a 71' 455 in my 48! whew! I did keep it olds though.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Young kids today and what they do with their rice rockets is really no different than what young kids where doing in the 50's and many baby boomers want that nice paint job and hot motor that they couldn't afford the first time around. The 50s are lond gone and while it's nice to reminisce about the past, we have to live for today. Bottome line, I am happy to know that people are still into cars and making their cars look good, regardless of how they do it. It's about keeping the hobby alive.

5. Yes, but if he was, then we wouldn't have gotten this awesome post to rag on him for! LOL

Don't invite him to Pig and Piston Sept 18th either.

This guy must live in a cave or something? Probably half of the guys on the HAMB in WI and the midwest for that matter are under 40. I can't use an average age, because Bob K will skew the results.

There are all kinds of shows with good traditional cars within a few hours drive. If you don't know about them, you must not know anyone in this state with a traditional car. We had over 250 cars at Symco that fit the traditional criteria very well. There had to have been close to 200 at Cheaterama this past weekend. Tell us you've never heard of the Hunnert Car Pileup?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I was wondering if anyone was gonna mention the Shakedown or Cheaters show.........
    if you live in WI and you dont know about those shows.....
    well.....
    you must live under a rock.

W.A.
    you know that most people have to drive to shows right?
    they are not just gonna pop up 4 minutes from your house.

Try going on a road trip to the Minneapolis Messaround or Kansas City Greaserama this weekend.

7. slammed

slammed

You are free now Winged Man! Some folk's take longer to 'see the light'. GG 8yrs ago in Des Moines was it for me, no offense to you sheeple: p'wer- t'wer-street rod/billet/digital boy'z...... (opp's) These Trad. show's are the only way to go. It's plain refreshing!

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

shows are for show offs, shut up and drive

i'd rather wrench with a buddy than sit in a parking lot anyday

9. I only go to shows that serve alcohol. It helps when dealing with other people.

10. RAY With

RAY With

Dont let it get you down. Right now every show out there is hurting as to car count. Just got home from a 4 day event and it was down at least 100+ cars so there are enough problems going on without worrying about the traditional hotrods. We have several traditional cars and a couple not so traditional and we have a place for all of them at various shows. The best thing we can do now is to support the shows you normally go to and try and enjoy whats there .

11. F&J

F&J

Move :D

Out here there are quite a few traditional shows... and despite the rules, many other styles get in, but it all works. Nobody seems PO'ed
    A nice mix.

The winters suck though. :eek:

12. Thanx for hitting me with your best shot. Don't really think I was whining, rather making my point and opinion. Good to see there is such a vast difference of opinions-that was my intent, to hear them all. So all you angry guys, join Bluto and take your meds. Keep the comments coming, I love 'em. (by the way, there are a hell of a lot of other non-traditional cars that I enjoy, but never the look alike, cookie cutter one's )and that's MY NICKEL'S WORTH.

13. We don't even have a parking lot at the Symco Shakedown! ha ha ha! Nor does the Pig and Piston.

14. Hell I remember when "Show Cars" didn't even have running motors!! No rods or pistons !! Nothing in the tranny either !!! It was just a "Show Car" and had to be pushed in and out of the hall.
    WA if you are going to places and not finding what you like go to some place else and look

15. henryj429

henryj429

Is that traditional alcohol (beer) or new designer cranberry pomagranate rice rocket booze?

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I thot it was strange of you to put up a post like that, but I just assumed you'd given up on your meds...or the wife got on your case for something...could make a man change his opinion of cars real fast...glad to see it wasn't something drastic...

R-

17. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

I have never attended a show with the intent of winning the $1.98 beauty contest. If the show does not hold my interest I'am always free to go. Hell I've even been to shows where they inspect your car at the gate and been told that it was'nt traditional enough, or was not in the spirt of the show. My car was mildly customizived in 1959, what part of "traditional" does in not meet...............All in the eye of the beholder I guess.
    As for me car shows are just okay, but the drag strip is way better. Just my 2 cents worth.

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I can't get my head around the idea that 'traditional' and 'glitz' are obviously seen by some as mutually exclusive:confused:Dummy spots anyone?
    Paul

19. Paul, where traditional and glitz meet, you find the custom.

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

I personally think its cool when I show up at a show and there are only a couple of traditional Hot Rods.Its fun to see all the people checking out the Traditional Rods and taking pictures and the look on the old guys faces with their $100K plastic hot rods wondering why.

21. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

We all have different opinons and types we like. Me I'm no different.

I have just adjusted to accepting that there are all kinds of vehicles and some of those types I don't care for are owned by some nice people.

What type of ride we end up in has many different factors.

22. Deadbird

Deadbird

Well said.

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Amen and Hallelujah Brother Phil,Testify
    Paul

24. Seems that the whole "Car shows suck because there are not enough traditional cars" thing is much to do about nothing. 15 years ago, street rods were all the rage and no one cared about "traditional hot rods", and 15 years from now, there will be something new and no one will care to see traditional cars anymore, mark my words. I'm sure many of you will argue that you are "O.G. traditional hot rods por vida", but please...., look back at the history of the hobby- styles come and go, and some go away and come back again. Traditional hot rods are riding the crest of the wave at the moment, dare I say the same way that the "custom chopper motorcycle" was 10 years ago.

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

You go to the wrong car shows.

Do a search for "Event Coverage".

Then plan a road trip to one of the shows that looks cool.

Enjoy.

26. Yup..you're going to the wrong "shows"....Ya know? That coupe of yours has already been trained to attend the best traditional events...not just shows either. Just listen to the ol girl [the Poncho, not your wife] and it'll take you where it' likes going...Remember, it's a driver..not a show car
    car shows are for show cars IMHO...........................Observe

Attached Files:

27. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

where two or more tradtional rods are gathered so shall be the hot rod gods. Spread the gospel.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow... quite a mis-statement there. the problem is is that too many non traditional cars are called traditional simply because they have some old parts and bias ply tires. I hate that term. it is really meaningless.

a true traditional car is timeless. it would have looked good 50 years ago, and will look good for the next 50. it is not now nor will ever be a trend.

can't really say that for many of the "2010 traditional" cars out there

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not bad bro, not bad. You're usually more sarcastic and cynical. Not that I mind, not knockin that:cool:

I'm somewhere between you and HotRodHabit, in that I believe the folks that want to get involved in the real deal will tire of it and go on to the next gig. I did musclecars for a long while because that's what I lusted for in my early teens. They were fast like the hand crafted cars Dad built but easier to fix and get parts for. Then they made money. For a time, LOTS OF MONEY, but the soul was always in the hand crafted hot rod or the big early 60s cars for me. I go to a cruise night and I'll walk past a primered Model A Cpe to check out a 61 Ventura or a 60 Starliner. The thing is that Model A most always has a pantload of store-bought billet shit on it too and it got primered to fit in with the percieved "new style". Reminds me of the temporary tattoos that doctors and lawyers would wear on the weekends to ride their bikes. Ever seen that? I feel sorry for em sometimes. You could tell by their perfectly smooth and new leathers and their high cost helmets. Why be what you're not? I'd rather share my style at a show and move on than to dis the next guy's taste, but when it's the phoney poser shit I'd rather not waste my time. I know a guy that just finished his car (o/t) and I feel really bad for him in some ways but really happy for him in others. And truth be known, since he's out driving his he's having more fun than me on that score. None of my shit runs yet! I believe I'm having more fun than most by building it all myself though. Good thing I have several project cars. I'd be lost with just one finished car.

Custom bikes/choppers? Oh yeah, I remember those.

30. Whatever, phrase it however you want, but you can be sure that in years to come, people will be removing the stromberg'ed flatheads and wide whites from '32 Fords in disgust, to replace them with the new best thing, whatever that may be, just like they did so many years ago. I agree with you that some things are timeless, but the vast majority of what drives the car hobbies are trends. In order to have a "traditional" segment of the hobby, things had to change in order for things to eventually swing back to traditional, right? Would you not agree that the popular tastes and sensibilities change over time, especially in the car hobby?

Look at the so-called "rat-rods", people are already removing the mexican blankets, flat black krylon, and garish pin striping in disgust, but 10 years ago, most would be ball-faced lying if they said they didn't think that was "the shit".