Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Car Show Have Lost It.............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

AGREED! Car shows have turned into fashion shows! U get a bunch of scensters with too much money and they think they fit in. I see it alll the time. I hate when schmucks say dumb shit like "are you a rockabilly?" WTF!? NO!!!! I'm into my car and thats it! FUCK SCENES! It's all because they just discovered some scene and can't decipher between things. I know of lame clubs like that and I laugh hard when I see those "bought cars"! Like my pappy said " If you didn't sweat, cry, or bleed over it, it aint yours, give it back!" I've done all three and know what it is to be at that point where you just want to take a tool to the window and you say "fuck it it's for sale in the morning", yet come back the next morning and think how much you love it take a nother stab at it. That my friends is a true love of being greazy and sweaty for your ride.

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

AND while we are talking 'Traditional Hot Rods' Do you think a 1941 ANYTHING is a Hot Rod....... Clubs I know won't let anything after 1936 in and some question after 1934........

What is traditional HOT ROD about a 1941 Pontiac!

AND my trains are wind-up.......

3. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Man give me a break,I was running WWW and steelies when it wasnt cool and some say it isnt now really dont give a shit what other people think.Its what I see when I look at My car in the drive.I remember when rust was a piece of crap now people are paintin and and trying to make em rusty and they are very talented at doing so.Like Gassers they are cool cars but they too will fall back into the has been file and no longer be the THING.Just enjoy em all.One thing for sure I am glad to see young people enjoy cars as much as me and am glad that they are building cool cars with out all the $$ that not to long ago it seemed you had to have to build a street rod.There is allot of people making a living making and building billet go fasters and I hope they continue.As is the glass and reproduction bodys and parts.IT IS A GOOD THING.so the next time you see one of those high$$ rides just remember the gold chainer made it possible for some hopefully an American put food on his table.ENJOY em all:)

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

We have a site in this area "carshowlink.com" It advertises guidelines on years invited like any and all or shows with a cap like 1967 at the Western MD. Round up this weekend. I scan the shows advertised and go to the ones that look the most like what I enjoy. If I'm curious and it's not too far away, I'll cruise by and look and keep on cruising if it doesn't look interesting. Best way to keep the stress and disappointment down for me...............

5. pastlane

pastlane

The real show is out on the streets. Not bottled up in a field or parking lot.

6. don't make me take the gloves off Bluto!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Careful you poke your eye out with your thumb!! ;-P

I bet it's a gasser style 4 door

Getting you to laugh good is the fiirst step in recovery :D

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

So there were 2 or 3 trad cars there. Were you NOT spreading the gospel?

9. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Ya know it goes both ways, now I,m a old guy I have let a very interesting life I own everything I have I have built cars for ME!!!!! now I find out Nick Curran is at MM next week and I,m not able to go cause I have nice shiny wheels well I have to live with that My tats I put on not some young guy that went to art school , we did not have trad cars cause we wanted them that was all we could afford now some gyy puts 60 k in a 32 to make it look old and its trad we all love cars, take it for what it worth lose the attitude been here 60 years do it for FUN before you know it you will be a old guy too and I,ll tell you what you better be tough cause it is not for wimps

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I see plenty of Traditional hotrods all the time . It all depends on what shows you go to plus everyone has a car show no and there are just too many car shows on a single weekend trying to raise money for one cause or another .
    They are out there , you just need to go to different cars shows than the ones you have been going to !

Retro Jim

11. Sorry Bluto-didn't know you were on meds. Try Cymbalta to stabilize your mood.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I read all the posts got to the end and forgot what we were bitching about.

scanned through the replies again and now I see.. we are bitching about nothing.

13. pinman 39

pinman 39

Who invented the word "Scenester" I like that is it on "Wikipedia"

Find the guys that do it the way you do and forget the rest .

I enjoy the HAMB more than 90% of the shows I go to .

14. That made me laugh out loud..

What difference does it make? A small show has to cater to all if he wants the show to succeed, and the general public doesn't know or care about the difference. Just remember, you can't spell success without sucks. Okay, that works better said aloud, but.. anyways, if you want to see more traditional cars, go to a show that caters to them.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

went to Goodguys this weekend, the cut off was 1972. WTF?? Camaros and Chevelles parked next to Model A's and 32's... what's next? dogs fucking cats?

I'm giving up this damn hobby and going to get into wordworking where there are no conflicts. too much stress.

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Not really much of a Car Show guy, I'd rather drive somewhere than sit around looking at stuff all day, after a hundred or so they all just seem the same. Driving is really the show, did a little yesterday and it was quite relaxing and fun, but as they say "to each his own".....

17. Probably the most profound statement in this whole thread.
    That is what I love about the HAMB;there is NO stereotype on here.Everyone has their own take and whether you agree with it or not you can respect it.

Personally I do not attend too many shows anymore;not because of the vehicle content(or lack thereof)but mainly because it is difficult for me physically to walk around a large parking lot in horribly hot weather for several hours looking at vehicles.I do like to see old friends though and that makes up for the lack of mobility.

Unlike a lot of people here I enjoy looking at ALL types of vehicles;whether they be period correct rods and customs or vintage restored vehicles or tuner cars or gassers or motorcycles and even unique pedal cars and bicycles.Throw in some vintage aircraft and I am near nirvana.

But the best part is talking to people.From old friends to someone I just met,I enjoy listening to their take on cars whether it is a pre-teen asking intelligent(and sometimes not so)questions or the old duffer who knows ALL the answers,the experience is always rewarding.You never know when you might glean something you didn't know before.My grandfather(who was my mentor and got me addicted to automobiles)always said that,"If you don't learn something new each day then you are likely dead!"And that I firmly believe.

Anyway that is my rant and I'm stickin' to it.Keep the posts coming.

18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I go to shows that are all over the board from traditional hotrods to rice burners big deal if you don't like it don't look. Hell i have friends with all sorts of style hot rods and even some that drive ricers(we pick on each other alot), The thing is everybody gets along and nobody hates the other cause your ride isn't like theirs.

19. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Traditional cars are more interesting to look at IMO. It is interesting to see how the car is unique because of the owner's skill, or personal touch with novel use of "stuff". Kind of like appreciating a fine piece of impressionist art. Every time you look at it, you have a new appreciation of what was not apparent in a previous glance. I really enjoy traditional cars. Spent the last 10 years in SoCal and now being in the SouthEast, really see the difference in the car culture. Not a bad thing, just different. SoCal ROCKS for Hot Rods, traditionals, and Customs.

Not excited looking at plastic Street Rods, or even muscle cars from the late 60s, early 70s. Nice stuff, high $$$, but not my interest, but their is a seat for everyone and that's okay with me.

20. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

At the Rumblers show in Brooklyn NYC, looks to me like a few "streetrods" showed up and they parked across the street away from the "real" show area filled to the max with cool traditional hot rods and kustoms....just go to the right shows!! I only go to 3 shows a year for this reason!

21. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Everyone is a check writer.Even the guy back in 1949 that BOUGHT a 32 to hotrod.To what extreme you buy makes no difference.

22. Troyz

Troyz

I'm with Revoh on his earlier post. I was just at the Goodguys Pleasanton Show with my dad & you couldn't swing a cat & not hit a gold chain. I laughed at alot and studied a few. I love cars and enjoyed the time i spent. The point is lighten up & have some fun.

23. I'd much rather attend a mixed show of nearly everything - trad rods, street rods, muscle, restos, pickups, family cruisers --- anything but ricer FATF-type cars and the "donks" with the cars raised two feet in the air and 30" "rims". THOSE two types of cars, I do NOT like.

I look at the cars and trucks that interest me, and ignore the others. Too easy.

24. If you can't enjoy a car show because the cars don't fit your narrow mind, the problem isn't the CAR SHOW, the problem is YOU.

25. There's things I don't like, but guess what, the world was not made for me alone !!!

26. Thumper

Thumper

Hell.....even dogs like a 'lil pussy every now and then....LMAO :D

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a reason to go to a show. You want to win, you want to spend some time on the road with friends going to the same show, you want show off your talents or you just fuckin like cars. Your post sounds like you like one kind of car. That said look for those shows. Is it that you want the "credit card" hotrodder to convert to your way or you're a snob who thinks newer hotrods have no place in the life? if I go to a Classic Car Club event I don't bitch that there was only one other 34 Packard. If I go to Hershey I don't bitch that there were "disco era" Trans Ams. If I go to cruise night I don't bitch that the guys with the cheapo chrome wheels with the phoney screws and holes in em were there. What the fuck did you expect? Been to an Autorama lately? Did it take you so long to build your car that the industry passed you by?

Ok, now that I'm done bustin your balls I feel your pain. The cars you spoke of don't turn my crank either. Best to avoid em.

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sounds like you are just going to the wrong shows. You would think with all of your experience you could pick them better by now.

29. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Too much whine....and not enough cheese. ;)

30. theczking

theczking

Never been to one. Whats a car show?