Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Most Beautiful Flathead Manifold - Eddie Meyer it is!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Nov 11, 2016.

?
  1. Eddie Meyer

41.9%
  2. Edelbrock

10.3%
  3. Navarro

8.1%
  4. Offenhauser

3.7%
  5. Sharp

3.7%
  6. Weiand

2.9%
  7. Evans

2.2%
  8. Edmunds

7.4%
  9. Thickstun

13.2%
  10. Cyclone

0.7%
  11. Other . . .

5.9%
  1. banjorear

banjorear

Hi Dale:

Curious what polish you used to seal it after final polish?

Thanks,

Tim

2. X2
    Hey dale any idea on how many were made back in the day. Iv seen originals and repos but wondering if anybody knows how many originals were made. I have a friend with two on the wall. He has it all heads, intake, fuel log. Air cleaner, all nos. Yours is truly the nicest iv ever seen. Makes me want to polish my heads and intake now on the roadster.

3. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Couple of my favorites 1115161034.jpg Jack Henry

4. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Eddie Meyer someone chrome plated at some point 1115161035.jpg

5. Yes, that is his earlier one (was water heated). I was originally going to try to find one of those - but after a lot of head scratching, decided to go with the exhaust heated one that I have (is just a bit more refined in style than his earlier one - just my opinion). The 'Jack Henry' is really neat - was an interesting 'hybrid' design - using a stock/modified manifold as a base, with a custom cast riser. I wonder if anybody has ever recast the rise portion of it? Also, did you weld up the original carb area, or just put a plate on it? Can you post a picture of just the manifold bottom - without the top?

6. I have no way of knowing how many he made of the intake - though I believe that his early design 24 stud heads are quite rare (I'm going to go over the dimensions of mine again and see if I can get them to work with my roller cam and not take too much material out of the chambers). Over the years, I've seen more manifolds than heads around - but not a huge amount of either of them. Most of the heads I've seen were in rough shape - rotted out, broken fins, milled to the extreme, etc.. If the quality of what he has is good - maybe he'll sell them to yah! I'd love to have an original fuel log. :)

7. OK I like Navarro stuff, I am not sure that it can be called beautiful but I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@paintslinger805 I just gotta ask. Even with the added power that being boosted can develop will this old flatty have enough grunt to drive both of these blowers. :D :D :D

[​IMG]

LOU WELLS and paintslinger805 like this.
  8. Probably not. That picture is from the internet. I just always thought it was cool because at the ol hotrod shop I worked at we built a big block chebby motor with twin blowers just like that. And it ran very well. It was in a 34 three window. Streetrod style. Maybe if the motor was an ardun and under driven it might work.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. LOL I just couldn't resist. It does look cool though.

10. Yo Barney . . . Give that Dog a Bone!

Barney was one good dude - I used to speak with him from the 80's until his death. We discussed the Harley KR design a lot - which you might just see some aspects of in his 'High Dome' heads. :) My favorite story was why/how he designed his original two-pot manifold. Typically you see a little plate in the top-middle of it - when you take it off, you see the heat riser area. Well, when Barney designed it, it had a secondary cast 'dog bone' on the top of it that transferred the heat to the bottom of the carbs. The hotrodders at that time always took the dang dog bone off and threw it in the trash (cause 'colder' just had to be better in their eyes). This is the reason you very rarely find an original version of this manifold with an intact 'dog bone'. (I believe H&H repops it now?) Barney really wasn't happy about it, but that is what folks wanted - so he also sold the manifold with a little finned 'block off plate' so you could remove the dog bone and run it without carb heat. Now the interesting part of the story is WHY he built it in the first place.

Barney was taking a cross-country trip in his hotrod and he had a Weiand dual manifold on it (the original tall one). He was out on the highway in the middle of a cold/snowy night - and his car kept losing power and going slower and slower. Finally he pulled over and pulled the air cleaners and looked in the carbs - sure as heck, they were all 'iced up' - the ice kept building up until there was just a little dime sized hole for the air to get through in each carb throat. This is what gave him the idea of a heated performance manifold . . . which is the first one he made.

Here is a setup from '35Kid' over in the UK:

NavarroDogBoneManifold.JPG

I must say, that is one fine looking manifold when it is all polished up!

Navarro_Dog_Bone_4e038dd6bc987-500x500.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  11. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

For me it would be the Edelbrock 4x2 manifold with painted air scoops. Not good on the street but they sure look nice!:cool::D:eek:
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

1115162031.jpg
    Here you go

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. RE: Jack Henry: Pretty cool, just welded up the carb riser section of a 33' intake manifold. That is a neat setup - have you ever ran it?

14. Great thread Dale.

15. banjorear

banjorear

Louie:

Those intake are boss! Really cool. Is the Jack Henry welded or cast like that? Looks too clean to be a weld up job IMHO.

16. Elrod

Elrod

These early Sharp manifolds are cute I guess..

IMG_2013.jpg

VANDENPLAS, Hitchhiker, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  17. Absolutely .... I have a real nice twin like yours & 2 of the "Triplet" manifolds like yours. Just love all "Sharp" stuff!
    What are those carburetors ? I don't recognise them.
    Cheers
    Tony

18. Nice early manifold! Those carbs are wild - look like a pair of old Hair Dryers! LOL :)

19. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

The most beautiful Flathead manifold is the one that makes your engine run great.

Asphalt Demon and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

Aren't these "carbs" an early attempt at add-on A/M fuel injection? I remember reading something about them a while back.

21. Picture from a Flathead group on FB!!

Screenshot_20161118-084922.png

I got a Hot rod Ford and two dollars bill!

Jet96, Asphalt Demon and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. Elrod

Elrod

Yes. Early attempt at fuel injection. They have a sprung diaphragm keeping constant cfm and the throttle controls a needle in a jet for fuel metering.

They only made a couple hundred single barrel types made for inline 6 engines. They made probably less than ten of these double barrel types intended for Flatheads. Went bankrupt almost immediately. The remaining inventory of them is owned by a HAMB member, and another member occasionally sells off one of his single barrels on ebay. These double barrel ones are pretty much unobtanium.

Here are a pair of single barrel ones running on a Plymouth Inline 6

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  23. chickenshift

chickenshift

My favorite flatty intake! It's just smooth a f.

Jet96, captain j and LOU WELLS like this.
  24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This thread is gonna make a lot of us spend a lot of money.

25. I really like this early sharp intake. Hey hankster32 you got one like that on your wall of 200. If you have doubles I would love to buy one from you to put on my 284" flatty for my 51 ford pickup.

26. Utahvette

Utahvette

I think the one in the middle with the brass tubes is cool looking. CIMG8011.JPG

27. Elrod

Elrod

Agreed! Freiman intakes with the brass tubes are one of the best looking!

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  28. Yes - that is some nice stuff right there! The Eddie Meyer below it . . . believe it is a 'modern rendition' - don't belive EM ever made anything with fins like that. :)

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Anybody else excited about the Plymouth with the dual one barrel injection and the killer exhaust note? Or is it just me......