Register now to get rid of these ads!

more polyhead questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MOPARMORTUARY, Sep 4, 2007.

1. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I have a 57 plymouth with 301 poly and 2 speed powerflite. Over the weekend I toasted the motor. Will all polyheads fit in its place? Will a late style smallblock fit? I wannaupgrade to a518 tranny later but for know I just wanna stick something to keep her motivating. Anyone have a motor that will run for cheap? Someone said my 57 had extended bellhousing and a later poly won't fit. Any help will be appreciated.Chad

2. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

OK can someone verify I need a 61 or older to be a bolt in to my car. Also I located a 55 chrysler windsor on the cheap thats a poly. Is it a hemi-poly and if so were they all 301-s ? Help Please Chad

3. 390kid

390kid

hollander lists; 277 and 301, 57 318, and all 58 except 58 fury.the engine from standard trans fits the auto but not vice versa. i know that some other years work too but are not listed becuase of differnt cranks and or trans cables or oil pans . the above noted are direct swaps.

4. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Thanks is that plymouth only or does dodge and chrysler fit too.

5. 390kid

390kid

desoto and dodge are but their is no listing of plymouth. your 57 block will accept the 56 277 crank. but i have no idea what parts you hurt or what types of options your looking for gimme so more info.

6. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

I think I can come up with 318 from a 64 or 65 but someone has said there is some crank flange issue. So far my other option is a 55 windsor v8 that the owner isn't sure what size it is.

7. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

If a 62 318 Polyy would work, I have a running one in a D100 with a 3spd behined it, I'm about 50 miles west of St. Louis.

8. 41hemi

41hemi

What you have is a 301 poly which is of Chrysler descent. Any poly or hemi head from the Chrysler family of engines will fit your car. also in the same breath should be noted that if one were to go from poly to hemi heads or vise versa pistons need to be changed as the valve reliefs are different. Dodge also had the poly engine but the Dodge family engine parts will not interchange with the Chrysler. BTW your poly is NOT an extended bellhousing. Polys never were extended; only the 51-mid 54 Chrysler 331's were. Your best bet sounds like the Chrysler poly you found. Good luck!

9. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Great, know all we need is someone who knows if it will work. If it works what'll ya take and do you need anything I have stuff to trade? Thanks Chad

10. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

Thanks but does that mean a 64 318 will fit or is there some crankshaft flange issue? Sorry if I'm asking alot of dumb questions but I hate to buy something I can't use. Chad

quote=41hemi;2205420]What you have is a 301 poly which is of Chrysler descent. Any poly or hemi head from the Chrysler family of engines will fit your car. also in the same breath should be noted that if one were to go from poly to hemi heads or vise versa pistons need to be changed as the valve reliefs are different. Dodge also had the poly engine but the Dodge family engine parts will not interchange with the Chrysler. BTW your poly is NOT an extended bellhousing. Polys never were extended; only the 51-mid 54 Chrysler 331's were. Your best bet sounds like the Chrysler poly you found. Good luck![/quote]

11. MOPARMORTUARY

MOPARMORTUARY

12. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom