Register now to get rid of these ads!

more pics of the side oiler. what is it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 01freeman, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 01freeman

01freeman
    from Michigan

more pics of the side oiler. what is it worth in todays market.

Attached Files:

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

That's a sweet engine. No idea on value.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I had an NOS block only that sold for $4000.00. The problem you'll find when reselling is most true enthusiast are looking for a standard bore block. Those tunnel port heads alone are big bucks.

4. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

best check out some of the Ford FE sites for a 'real' answer. I used to work for a guy that had one of the (remaining) six 1966 factory race car Fairlanes, it is/was a NHRA SS/D car, and we were ALWAYS looking for 427 parts and following up leads. He has retired and the car is for sale at 200K$
    Being a stick car, it was pretty hard on stuff:D
    12K might be right for this engine. The carbs were stamped with an "A" and a "B", but it has been too long to remember the specifics.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

School me, these engines didn't use a harmonic damper?

6. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

WOW!! Those are the "Tunnel Port" heads---Rare as hen's teeth--Most powerful FORD engine short of the SOHC 427 and Boss 429.
    Ford built 427's as Low-Risers, Medium-Risers, Hi-Risers and then the Tunnel Port. There's a lot more guys with lots more info than I have, but that engine/heads is a great find!!

7. alsancle

alsancle

Depends on what numbers are stamped on it and what the condition is. I paid 4k for a 30 over block with no cracks but was date coded and correct for my 68 GTE. The heads were a separate deal for me that I found and cost around 2k for a complete set. The most value is for a guy needing to match a set of numbers for a restoration.

8. Rideron66

Rideron66
    from Virginia

I found a new one on line still in the crate and complete two years ago for 14K, but I didn't buy it. I wish I had though.:(

9. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Are you looking to buy this to use in something or to resell? I think (in my opinion) its overpriced by about 4k but thats just me. If you parted that motor out you would be in that range. If you are buying to resell just walk away from it.

-Matt

10. 01freeman

01freeman
    from Michigan

I was thinking about buying it to put in a 65 comet that i have. I am just wondering how much work it is going to nee and money to be running again. The area on the block thta looks liek it has been welded concerns me too. I am just trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to just buy parts and build one or buy this one.
    Thanks

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Go to survival motorsports website and contact Barry robotnick and crew. These are the guys to talk to about fe engines and cost.

12. If you want straight toungue on it contact MeanGene427 he is up on all things FE.

I would offer you 150 for it today, for two reasons one I have never insulted you and two I could probably come up with 150 in a pinch. But alas I wouldn't have the funds to get ti home. :D:D

Even if you need to give the bores a clean up what you have is worth a ton my friend. I would not let that one escape.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Do you have any history on this engine ?, Was it found in Michigan ? & Did it come out of a wrecked black 1967 Mustang F.B.? (the stang would have been a "S" code 390 body).

If any of this fits,.. you should contact me. really cool story about the engine that was in that car.

14. 01freeman

01freeman
    from Michigan

The guy pulled it out of a 67 fairlane that he bought 10 years ago. It has just been sitting. i think i am going to pass as the tunnel port heads are not that hard to find. i have found 5 sets of heads with intake for $2k. No paper work to prove it is a HM engine. it is just a side oiler 427 with a unnel port setup. besides it only has the cast crank. i ust found another engine for $12K thta includes the $ crank running ready to go. My plans are to put it in my 65 Comet.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That one's overpriced, considering it appears to have been freeze-cracked AND blown up- not that many good parts to get that money. The orignal, heavy high-dome pistons don't run for crap, iron crank, busted block etc.- it doesn't add up to that money. If you were a little closer, I'd sell you one of my 454's with aluminum heads and Eagle rods for less than that, ready to run