Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Gasser look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Apr 27, 2008.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Can anyone tell me what my Falcon needs to make it more Gasser looking?I am thinking a moon tank and some piecrusts when the current rubber wears out on the rear.What else am i missing ? and please no small block Chevy jokes.Lettering perhaps ,fenderwheel headers ?Please keep in mind that this is my daily ,so injecter stacks getting rained in may not work well ,thanks for the positive feedback in advance ...

Attached Files:

2. raffman

raffman

Get that scoop off there. Go with a sheet metal scoop or the Ford teardrop. Maybe lose the grill then moon tank, different wheels/tires????

3. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

pie crusts definatly, maybe some older looking wheels, those cragers are more 70's looking, they did use them in the 60's though..I am thinking older torq thrust d's , or slotted mags, or maybe amismatched pair. More period bias ply fronts might look better with the pie crusts as well.
    The other switch would be the paint- I like the flame job, but it says mors street rod than gasser to me.
    there is a thread on here about cool drag race paint jobs, maybe you could get some ideas there- a different shiny paint job and lettering would change up the look.
    The moon tank will be a good addition.
    Some white fenderwell headers would also help.

The car does look nice now, but I think the look is more 70's street freak than gasser.

4. Shinny paint job with lettering.
    Ladder traction bars
    roll bar in the bed, with a tonneau cover.
    Fender well headers
    donate the hood scoop to "good will"

5. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The rear tires/wheels, flames and scoop are making this more a mullet era car than gasser. Fix that and add period correct lettering, decals, fenderwell headers and roll cage. Moon tank may be tough to fit nicely on this car, but I'm sure it could be done with some thought and research. You have a really good start on it. Not a lot to do to make it look great.

6. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

fenderwell headers, shiny paint,lettering, mismatched wheels(think ets front and steel rears), keep the grille but cut center out for 2 gal moon tank, pie crusts,raise the rear a little like 1-2 inches,definetley like the rollbar tonneau cover idea. sheet metal or plexiglas scoop. Heck you could even two tone the wheels half and half so you can watch the wheelspin out the hole! Man I've watched too many old racing videos since my wreck! Good luck and have fun-Paul

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

some vintage shots-

Attached Files:

8. storm king

storm king

Teardrop Ford scoop for sure, and please put it on the right way, with the openings toward the windshield. Drop the nose some. Raise the back some. Second thought, drop the nose a bunch! I like the bed mounted roll bar idea, that's period. A 3 or 4 inch aliminumm tube rear bumper in place of the stocker is also the bomb. just my .02.

9. If you put colored plexi in the back window and some fenderwell headers (silver or white) , you'd be set.

The cragars are fine. The hood scoop is ok until the blower is ready.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Lose the scoop and the flames. They don't fit at all.
    Add fenderwell headers, good idea.
    Stay away from the faux patina paint garbage. The gorgeous gassers of the 60's (Mazmanian, Kohler Bros, Skippers Critter, etc.) could easy have been show cars as well as drag cars...they were that beautiful. Cragars are fine. Many gassers in the 60's ran Cragars. If you win the lottery, get some vintage Halibrands.
    Looks like you are 90% done!
    Congratulations

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

Man you guys are blunt ,but honest and thats what i was after.I like the ideas and i agree with most of it .The Cragers are common on lots of late 60's Gassers i think .I have seen many of them also with a more radical rear rake then mine.The deal with the plexi rear glass and roll bar is a great idea .Keep the suggestions coming please and thanks for the honest opinions guys ,cuz sometimes i get tunnel vision ...

12. Larry T

Larry T

Shiny paint(candy), cool name on the side, drivers name on the sill or top, red/blue/black tinted side windows,fenderwell headers. I wouldn't worry about piecrusts. By 64/65 folks were changing to wrinkle walls. I don't remember seeing a Falcon with piecrusts.

13. Change the paint
    change the wheels
    raise the back
    loose the scoop
    add Moon tank to the front
    fenders headers,a must!

14. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Paint! Something shiny, preferably sparkly. Keep the Cragars they look good, just wrap them in some bias rubber, it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be. Oh, and keep the tires under the metal in the back please.

15. ladder bars and some lettering should do the visual trick , the car looks bitchin as is ..

16. Bodacious

Bodacious

Yeah the scoop is all wrong. It'd look better with none than with that. As previously stated, a homemade or a teardrop, which looks killer on that era of Fords. Loose the chrome rear wheels in the rear, replace them with widened steel stockers. Also ditch the slapper bars in favor of ladders or something else fabricated. Fenderwell headers are never wrong on a gasser style car, they're totally bad-ass. I'd level it too, the front's just a bit high or raise the rear a tad. Some hand lettering would definitely be a nice topper, aesthetically.
    I don't want to seem harsh but you asked. Overall though, a very nice car, just needs a little more attention to detail. I dig Rancheros and El Caminos, there's nothing else like 'em.

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

A owned an old modified production Fairlane...had that scoop, probably put on in the 70's...I like it fine...it goes good with the wheels...they were using them at the end of the Gasser period...they would have been right at home with the car still in the 70's, when it would have eventually become a sportsman car.
    The flames give it a 70's feel, too...I actually like it like that, but it depends on what "period" gasser you are going for...I would assume late sixties, due to its vintage.
    I don't think pie crusts fit the bill here, either...tire tech had gotten past that by the late sixties...maybe some Racemasters?

I like it the way it is...no Moon tank and all...
    Teardrop scoops are for Thunderbolts.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shiney paint with lettering, Torq-thrust wheels with piecrusts, moon tank, no grill and get a tear drop scoop.

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for your opinion and i forgot to mention what era Gasser i was shooting for(sorry).Your right ,there is a huge difference between late late 50's style and late 60's early 70's style.I am shooting for a weekend warrior look from the later part of the Gasser era ,right before the street freak thing started.Thanks for digging my car man .I held a friends moon tank up to the grill once and i kinda liked it but you are definatly right about the Racemasters over the piecrusts.Also ,i know it doesnt change anything but the scoop is there for a reason .I once had a red plexy scoop on it ,but it wouldnt come close to clearing the tunnel ram thats on it now.I actually prefered it with the carb and breather sticking throught the hole in the hood ,but i got tired of having to cover them with a piece of plastic everytime it rained ,so i may have to live with it since a teardrop isnt tall enough to clear it either.See what i mean about the scoop clearence thing?

Attached Files:

20. Judd

Judd

How much clearance you need 427 teardrop and washers under the back of hood? Loose the tunnel ram and go with his.

Attached Files:

21. scrape

scrape

"The deal with the plexi rear glass and roll bar is a great idea"

.....seems like ive heard this one before...... hahahaha....

red plexi rear glass and roll bar (with bars going through rear glass
    RAISE IT UP IN THE BACK
    fenderwheel headers
    lettering on shinny paint
    ladder bars
    piecrust slicks (because they look so cool)
    .......these are all things ive been telling you to do......

22. Judd

Judd

or this

Attached Files:

23. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Thoughts sort of at random:
    By the time the tunnel ram became in vogue, pie crusts were passe'.

I think ladder bars would be cool, but if you want to continue driving the car on the street, not such a good idea. CalTracs might work well, and look a bit better than your slapper bars.

As was mentioned before, maybe a touch down on the front elevation (compare to the old photos) or maybe up in the rear.

The rear tires are a little short in the sidewall, although I'm sure they work ok.

The scoop really is more of a early 70s artifact, but I personally don't find it offensive. Could be because I was 18 in 1970.....

Remember that it wasn't really about "the look," it was about getting down the track quick.

Further, remember that it's about having fun. If you want semigloss black with flames, have fun with it.

24. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

I like your avitar picture better than your flamed pic. Just my opinion I guess.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Some inspiration...

Attached Files:

26. The Shocker

The Shocker

How did i know you were gunna say all that Troy ?I know what you think Troy its tattoed on my brain .I just wanted some fresh eyeballs looking at it ,and like was pointed out earlier on this thread ,not all Gassers are from the same era.There is a late 50's style and a late 60's early 70's style Gasser Homie.Piecrusts look cool indeed ,but are not correct to a later style Gasser ,plus i have to drive this thing in the rain and i dont have the option of just parking it when its not sunny outside .I always thought they looked out of place on the aluminum slots on your 55 .I felt they would have looked better on painted steelies like Blt4spds 53 has.Plus those Camaro buckets you had in it looked odd to as did the T5 tranny .I agree it needs taller tires on the back ,but you know why i put them on there at the time.I was trying to compinsate for my lack of low gears for the HAMB drags last year .I never thought they looked right either ...

27. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looks good from here!

28. Also remember that gassers were on there way out in the 70's. It was more street freeks, which was more wild paint (not flat black and flames) and much taller overall stance. IMO, a teardrop hood would be WAY better. The tunnel ram is no bueno, looks hokey to me. You need to hide the MSD box and get spark plug wires that match everything better, not yellow. And raise it in the rear with taller tires. Cragars look fine.

29. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the kind words .Its hard to make a Gasser with the slicks and the works and still keep it a daily ,but im tring ...

30. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I agree:
    -No flames
    -Fenderwell headers
    -Gloss paint
    -Name/logo on doors
    -Lots of nostalgia steekers