Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mopar starter solenoid wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Hi guys, been making some good progress on the Plymouth, but this starter solenoid wiring has me a little confused. 1985 360 EGR box, elect ign.

I understood it when I looked at one, but I cant remember?..... Google isnt doing me any justice either. Anyone have a simple diagram?

Thanks!

2. 73RR

73RR

3. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

73RR, Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but that diagram makes it look like both wires land on the same post at the starter. I'm pretty sure the wire from the starter relay (listed as 14ga in diagram) should land on the small post. I know it's probably obvious but it confused me for a bit. Thanks.

4. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

So if Im looking at the top diagram correctly, it says :"On stock Mopars, this junction is at the battery. You can place this junction on the starter just as easily."

Does this mean I can run my battery cable (trunk) straight to my starter and then run a 10-ga. wire from my battery back to the solenoid?

5. yep, that would work, I might go a bit heavier though because the is the main power for the rest of the car too.

6. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Cool, thank you!

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

UPDATE!

So, I set my wiring up as described last September and everything has been great. Suddenly, after a
    Few long trips (250 miles or so) I am getting an intermittent battery draw strong enough to kill a battery overnight. I checked the whole system, pulled fuses, installed a new ignition switch and nothing...

I finally was able to trace the draw to where my starter power connects to my solenoid. ( my setup is done like my #4 post). I have no draw until I connect power to my starter solenoid.
    Even with the draw, my car starts and drives normally.... I have chased this ghost for a couple of nights already and all I can think of is that for some reason my starter is drawing power all the time.... I hope I am making sense, because this scenario makes little.

Is there a way I can see if my starter is pulling juice when not engaged before I pull it and take it in for a new one? I wired the car and it is a very simple setup. I understand wiring, but this is strange. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

8. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Bump for sunday

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Bump for Sunday

10. skicker

skicker
    from Gone

I used the Ford solenoid and it makes everything easier. The positive lead runs from the battery to the solenoid and from the opposite side of the solenoid to the starter. The small post on the starter is connected to the big post in a loop. The only time there is juice at the starter is when the switch is in the start position. This is done by the wire from the ignition switch in the start position being connected to the small terminal on the solenoid. When you release the starter everything on the opposite side of the solenoid is dead The starter can fall off and everything else can run fine. When doing this all other items to be hot bolt on the solenoid where the positive battery cable is hooked up.

11. skicker

skicker
    from Gone

Now that I re-read your post is the Alternator wire attached in the system at the some place as the starter? I just had the same problem in the fall with a 1 wire alternator that would kill the battery overnight, but when driven everything seemed fine. The only way I found it was the Alternator was warm at the bottom in the back.

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Yes, they all attach at the solenoid lug. I just had the Alternator rebuilt as well. Thought that was the problem originally.

13. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Finally tossed the one wire setup and went stock Mopar 3 wire with electronic voltage regulator. Works like a dream.... The issue I was having? The internal regulator was drawing power. It was hard to find, but I got it.