Register now to get rid of these ads!

mopar guys need advice on 413 eng/trans out of motorhome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slamchop, Jul 23, 2004.

1. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

have a chance to buy one,and wondering if i can run it?are they low rpm engines like the 440's out of motorhomes?the guy says it has all this cross cooling on top w/hemi style exhaust,w/trans and it runs.anyone have any pics of what this cooling system looks like?....good find ? [​IMG]or boat anchor [​IMG]

2. swazzie

swazzie

Hey Slam , I am not familiar with the 413 motorhome motors but the 440 models also had some peculiar cooling routers although nothing that prohibited the engines from being used for the street in automobile applications.All in all good motors in that the earlier version 440's had higher nickel contents and thicker cylinder walls thus facilitating easier boring and durability of strength.These motors were and still are very versitile in application and many options are available to them in that the 440 heads also fit these Rb blocks.As far as I am aware of , you should be able to use any aftermarket parts on these motors as they are. I do have alot of information on specs as far as exchanging heads etc. is concerned if you need more information.However I would be curious to see just how different these may be from the stock 413's that they used in chrysler passenger cars.Please feel free to pm me if I can be of any help .Overall I believe this could be a good opportunity for someone. As far as the pseudo hemi exhaust is concerned, the only thing that comes to mind is the cross ram exhaust style manifolds in which this motor may be a lucrative purchase just for these.They are very rare and expensive if found .This would have to be confirmed though. Good luck. swaZZie

3. I agree with swazzie, sounds like a good piece to use. Not a Mopar expert, but i would assume you could take all that strange cooling stuff off and just put on normal car water pumps and intake so it would be normal? I can;t imagine the basic block being any different than the standard.

As a side note, back in my drag racing days, my friend that drag raced a 440 and built transmissions, said the motorhome trans had something special about it. Maybe it was a lower gear set for first and second gears? For some reason he mentioned that the motorhome trans was different and a good one for drag racing.

Buy that 413 and put an old cross-ram intake on it. Now that has some visual impact.

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

only "cooling passage" differences i know of are in the cylinder heads.
    something about additional passages around the exh.valve seat and plug area.
    it is a good engine,and all b and rb engine shit will work on it ,with the exception of the intakes.
    me thinks that is the main variable.
    get it!

5. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

Snag it...you can't go wrong if it runs at all. That trans SHOULD have a shorter,beefier tailshaft on it. Heads have a few more cooling ports inside them. Like has already been stated,everything from and 383's on up to the 440's stuff will work,EXCEPT for the intake manifolds. The 413,426 wedge,and 440 all interchange.

6. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Chrysler made a industrial type motor ,some of the larger motorhomes had them. If so would be a small valve head,low compression type .I have no idea what the hemi exhaust would be other than somebody's dreams. Trans is still the 727 type ,has some extra clutches and return springs in the clutch drums. If it had a mutipiece driveshaft it will probably have a bolt on flange instead of a rear slip yoke U-joint. Not a big deal though. Almost bulletproof and a ton of torque. 1971 or so would also be electronic ignition ,if it is be sure and get wiring and ignition box and ballast resistor, voltage reg would be nice also.. best of luck

7. Scotch

Scotch

I bet the exhaust manifolds are factory "magnum type", which are good but not better than any header.

I bet the trans is a 727 with a couple additional clutch dics and maybe a bigger filter. It also may have a deeper trans pan for additional fluid capacity, and the trans pan may be aluminum to shed heat.

I dig BB Mopars. Had a kick ass 440 for a long time. The 413 is a good start. Later Magnum heads (P/N ends in 906) or new aluminum replacements (from Indy Cyl Head or Mopar Perf.) would wake it right up. Lots of cool stuff out there for these, but nothing beats the factory alum. "short ram" Max Wedge crossram. I ran it on my 440 w/ twin Holley 465cfm carbs and it was a runner.

413 is a good motor, and swapping in a 440 crank would make it easy to get over 446 cubes w/ an overbore. Get a good oil pump!

Can't go wrong with a hot 413....

Scotch~!

8. jay

jay

Just make sure that you dont have to pull it out of the motor home.. [​IMG] I got suckered into pulling one out so i could get some parts for Radshit and myself..the trans has the drum emergency brake on the back of the trans the drive shaft was a multi piece so it just bolts to the drum..The guy is going to run the motor in one of his mud bog trucks so all he had to do was swap out the front housing that holds the water pump to a car one the motor home one was huge. He told me he could run it as is but it was to ugly and heavy.of course this motor was a 440 but i'm pretty sure they are pretty similar..down side was we had to get a friend of ours to bring a crane and pick up the front of the motor home i got tired of messing with taking things off and just cut the frame and rolled the engine trans and front suspension out from under it.