Register now to get rid of these ads!

money money money old cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by superstockcatalina, May 30, 2008.

1. i now live in florida and moved from north carolina. i have noticed cars here, are way more expensive. a four door here is a two door in nc. even the rusty crap is too expensive here. are they really cheaper further north or where is the best place to find deals in fl? i search ebay and craigslist nightly looking for the right truck, doesnt even have to be running, just a 49-54 chevy gmc pickup and even the rusty non running no floorboard broken glass trucks here are just not worth the price! am i really going to have to travel to pick up a decent deal?

2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I would agree with your assessment. It does seem you can get cheaper iron heading north or north west into Georgia, Alabama, S.C., N.C., etc. Welcome to Florida. What part of Florida are you in by the way?

3. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I checked your profile and see you are in Bradenton... Sounds like you are kinda down in the dumps per your profile. I'm sure you could meet some cool folks here on the HAMB.

4. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

couldn't agree any more and i dont even live out that way. every time some nice 60 olds or parts for my car come out from out that way, i often ask myself what substance(s) these people are under the influence of. :confused:

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Any car that stayed in Florida all it's life rotted away from the humidity and salty air, anything that is there now was "imported" and will cost a bunch because someone else went through all the trouble to get it there.

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yep, you can sell a California or Arizona car anywhere in the rust belt for top dollar, and many gougers do. If solid, unrusted iron isn't available where you are the prices for decent cars will be quite a bit higher than anywhere else.

7. My understanding is guys in Florida will build cars even salt belt northeasterners would consider too far gone, too, so they probably have more work in the cars to make them even halfway decent.

I've often theorized one could make money with an auto transporter by buying cheap cars in the southwest, selling them in the northeast, loading up with local cars there, selling them in Florida, loading up with rebuilt wrecks in Florida (apparently you can't drive them again in FL due to title issues), and selling them in the southwest.

8. 416Ford

416Ford

I just helped my folks move back from Valrico and there was a car lot on (I think) SR60 that only carried old cars. Last time I was down there I stopped and look and his prices seemed inline with Michigan. This time the only one that cough my eye was a late 30's sedan. Then again it was 3:30 in the morning.

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

Sounds like the beginnings of a business plan to me...go get yourself a bank loan and do it.

10. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I'll be glad to help set it up from this end...

Also, if you can get any of the actors from the 'Dukes of Hazzard' to autograph the vehicle anywhere.... it will immediately add $1000 to the car's price. :D

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

So so true , however you can find good clean cars here in Florida. You have to concider the population of Florida in the 30s-70s in comparison to other places in the country. Florida only started to grow as of the 80's as everyone migrated here to be closer to the cocaine! Yuo may be able to find stuff elsewhere for less money , but you must ad to that purchase price the cost of shipping the car here. A car close to 1000 miles away will cost you almost $2000 to ship at this point, so a $5000 car in Florida is a better deal than a $3500 dollar car somewhere else. There are less cars here and that commands a premium , simple economics. Florida is full of great old cars just reference Billetproof Ocala for the proof of that. There are old cars being turned up everyday in every state . For some of us the thrill is in the hunt, get out there , who knows there might be a 32 3 window right arounfd the corner from your house

12. East of 75, west of 95

As far as Craigslist is concerned... If they were serious about selling, they would PAY for an ad and put a reasonable price on it. Since Craigslist is free, you can put any ridiculous price you want on something, and if somebody doesn't buy it, they aren't out anything.

13. The classified add here on the HAMB are free.

I guess no one here is serious about selling either.

14. That depends on if you think "serious about selling" means they should give it away for pennies on the dollar to the first lowbuck offer that comes along. I'm serious about selling anything I post for sale - but I'm sure not going to give it away for nothing, I'll scrap it first.

15. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Hey superstocker...
    Welcome to the hamb ...you should be able to find some folks down their to get to know...take your time it will come .....
    As far as finding someone to help ya with your cars ,Man I'm fifty six years old ,lived in the same house for over ten years and can't get my sons off their lazy ass's to help do shit....the people that live around me .....Fuck ..what a joke ..........they don't come out of the houses after work.........I ride Harleys ,have been before being a "BIKER"was cool.........and its hard to get five people together to take a ride....with its to hot ,to cold, to wet , to dry ...Or someother bullshit......Get over it and figure out a way man ! Hot rodding is fun ,even if you just stand around your junk and tinker with it..LOTS of time I never get anything done just for that very reason....Not busting your balls.........Life's to short to worry over the little shit....THAT'S ALL........good luck to ya!

16. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I just read your profile also, I plan on moving down to the Tampa area this fall I"LL BE YOUR FRIEND!!, seriously thou if you want to join a car club then you should look into joining the Poor Boys club they have a Tampa chapter, and by the way i have a friend in Tampa already and we both have the same taste in cars so I won't be friendless when I get down there.

17. 31modelo

31modelo

We use alot of our money from sellin our women and cocaine to the yankee's to get the cars shipped down here. We like to paint them in pastels and do all kinds of stupid shit to them, then, we try to sell them back to the rest of the world. It's time for you to asimalate(may be spelt wrong schools not so good here too.)

18. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

quoted for truth.

19. 31modelo

31modelo

Can I get an Amen

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

ROFLMAO...that's some good comedy there, I don't care who you are. :D

21. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Germ has invaded 31Modelos head

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

sure - AMEN BROTHER!
    you need an amen if you're liv'n in FL.

23. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i had to look for about 3 years to find something decent for my price range.if you go north or west it gets cheaper.

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

NO DOUBT! I was there for a month and a half about this time last year...I have NO idea how you guys down there live like that!

25. Must be sellin' a lot of 'em to guys up my way.
    Plenty of pastel colored, billet laden shit up here too.

26. 31modelo

31modelo

If you build them they shall come.

27. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

There is them that know, and there is them that dont!

28. Moondog13

Moondog13

Amen! But seriously, if you think its bad up there for you, come down here to Miami and try to find something cheap and decent. I buy 4 door cars down here just because its what's affordable. There are still good deals out there as anywhere else, but good luck finding them! I'm piecing together a 28-29 speedster now. I got a '39 Chevy (Swiss 4 door) with a dented roof (thanks hurricane Katrina) for 400 bucks, and a solid '50 Fleetline (4 door as well) for 800 with a few other decent cars in between. All non-operational. :rolleyes:

29. that is a ridiculous statement. i buy and sell stuff on craigslist all the time. if you search and take your time you can find a good deal. i buy stuff and sell it for a profit without doing anything to it. sorry you don't have any luck with craigslist others do.

30. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Bradenton is about 4 hours from Ga., 6 from the Carolinas. I've always had to make roadtrips. Gainesville, Zephyrhills and Lakeland seem like places to keep an eye on.