Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MOLD!!!!!!! (long read, sorry)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Aug 14, 2017.

1. thanks for all the suggestions. especially kidcampbell71 for suggesting the ozone machine.

2. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

Did not know that. I would think just the opposite. You know the "ozone layer" and all that UV protection stuff. More of a oxidation thang I guess.

loudbang likes this.
  3. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

have a pontoon house boat that the canvas wnd. covers get mold & mildo, i use hydrogen peroxide, works better than bleach and wont rot stiching.

agshelby and loudbang like this.
  4. jackalope

jackalope

That works good for areas you can come in contact with. The beauty of an ozone machine is that it permeates and reaches areas you cannot put chemical on.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Baron likes this.
  5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear Scott. Glad your able to drive the car now. Excellent !

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, scotty;
    Would you mind all that much doing a follow-up report on the mold situation, after, say late spring, when the car comes out of storage. Sniff test, touch,& visual. I'm curious how well the mold got whacked. Hopefully, permanently, but I'm told it can't ever be gotten rid of completely. 1st hot humid weather, n it comes back from deep inside where it was. I'm fairly well acquainted w/ozone, but always looking to see real-world long term results. & just exactly what folks do to get good long-term results. Reason I ask is, I've got a few issues w/this myself. Short-term fixes have worked, not long term. Will be trying some of these things.
    TIA.
    Marcus...

loudbang likes this.
  7. So far all is well, might still do a periodic ozone treatment just for maintenance.

loudbang and porkshop like this.
  8. clem

clem

Interesting, - I always thought that bleach was hydrogen peroxide.

loudbang likes this.
  9. clem

clem

Fascinating read, this whole thread.
    I had only heard of ‘ozone machines’ that are used to treat cancer.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Ozone generator is the best method to combat mold and mildew, in my shop right now is a car not driven in 27 years and stored in a non vented metal building. The vinyl interior was green with mold and I told the owner I could not let it in my shop until every bit was gone. He used ozone and vinegar and the interior is immaculate with no after smell or ? Ralphie by the way I think bleach is Sodium Hypoclorite, not hydrogen peroxide. [I think]

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  11. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I bought a 70's Camaro from a customer that had a major leak in her garage roof. The windows were cracked about 2" to let air in, and heat out. It let mildew in badly. I removed the carpet, and ordered new, then used Simple Green to clean the vinyl seats. Not only cleaned all the mildew off, but left a nice smell after a day or so setting out in the sun. One question, what is wrong with the steering wheel, is there still some residue on it? Everything else looks great.

loudbang likes this.
  12. I just stumbled across this thread so I thought I would give an update. The vette is still mold free! The ozone machine has been used in several rooms in my house to get rid of musty odors and I’ve loaned it out for both car and home use with great results. I highly recommend an ozone machine to anyone who lives in a damp area. Thanks again for all the advice, especially @kidcampbell71 for suggesting the ozone machine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Sorry I never saw your question until just now! The steering wheel has on old ass leather cover that looks slightly less bad in person, its been on there since the 80’s I’ve never driven the car without it.

14. mkebaird

mkebaird

I just stumbled across this thread as well. Thanks for the recommendation. I recently moved to the coast where that ozone machine looks like a good investment.

scotty t likes this.