Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Modifying front crossmember tech search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody1958, Jun 7, 2015.

1. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Year ago or so was a 34/ford chassis build on here where a builder cut out the center of his front crossmber and raised it just in the center part. He basically cut a big chunk out and put a new piece of channel in and welded it all in. It was all done no wider than the radiator mounts length wise. Any help would be appreciated. I have a crossmember thats wore little thin on back side from u bolt rubbing. I was thinking of cutting it. Adding new so it would be thick again. And raising it to gain another inch in lowering it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Can't find the thread but someone raised the rear cross member in their 34. Weld a bar to the chassis to keep it square and 'V' cut either side of centre spring pad area from the top down, don't cut thfrom front to rear on top horizontal area. Similarly 'V' cut on each outside edge from the bottom up but not all the way through as the very bottom, leave just enough metal to hold it all together . When the cross member is raised up, the 'V' gaps will close up. I did similar to step up the rear frame rails on a friend's 42 Chevy PU.
    I used a cardboard template with single vertical slits to replicate cuts and determine how much 'V' was required to raise the frame the desired amount. When you've determined where the new level is, mark the cardboard with a pen. After you remove the cardboard, return to original shape and the 'V' from vertical slits to marked line will be what you need to remove to attain the desired height. I'd personally replace that worn area with an entirely new fabricated pad unless you can buy a lower cross member to save yourself all the work.
    Measure twice, cut once

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Here is a 34' chassis that I cut the front crossmember into several pieces to make it approx 4" flatter. It worked out well. image.jpg image.jpg

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48