Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T radiators, what are you using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wesley, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Wesley

Wesley

I am going to need a bigger radiator for my T, the Renault Alliance radiator is not going to be enough with my new engine. What are you using? I would like suggestions for an aluminum core so that I can make my own tanks. I hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I made one out of cardboard and took it to a local radiator shop to be used as a template,

not cheap, but no over heating issues either

Attached Files:

3. Wesley

Wesley

That is looks like what I am trying to accomplish, do you know what core they used? I can make my own tanks and outlets.

4. Mark 2 Jag - fits pretty good in the 25 T grille shell. Bought it for £2 on eGay and had it recored for £80.

5. Wesley

Wesley

I am too much of a redneck/white trash to be let anywhere near a Jag much less know anything about them, can you elaborate on the MkII jag description? Such as year and engine size. Thanks

6. Piper106

Piper106

I'd look at some of the more recent cars and minivans since most OEM radiators in the last twenty years or so have been aluminum core. You might want to start with by looking at radiators from the Dodge Caravan. RadiatorBarn.com says that the core from an 86 Caravan 2.2L four cylinder is 16-3/4" high by 16" wide. If you need something smaller, 89 Ford Festiva has a 12-5/8" high by 15" wide core.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106

7. It's a 1960's Jaguar saloon. Should be plenty over there. This radiator was used a lot in UK T Buckets as it was such a nice fit in the T grille shell.

Follow this link for more details - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_Mark_2

Alternatively, there are lots of tractor radiators that are about the right size.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the core is a four row, roughly 16 inches wide and 12 inches tall.

all custom, made to order.

keep in mind it's more of an issue of volume, surface area and airflow to horse power
    than simply fitting in the shell

a dinky radiator out of a wimpy miny van may not work so well in front of a big chunk of hopped up early American iron

but of course you knew that.

9. Wesley

Wesley

I am all too familiar with the need for volume and airflow. I have used radiators out of festivas that worked well for small blocks on alky, but my big block on gas is making way too much heat for that. I was hoping someone has already come up with a solution for this to save me some time scrounging through buyers guides at my local radiator supply house. I know there is a company that makes a brass radiator to fit this grill shell that is made for big engines making alot of heat, but $1000 is a lot out of my budget. I have plenty of time and skill, and next to no money. Isnt that how most of us are?

10. Wesley

Wesley

Unfortunately old Jag parts here in the states are treated like gold and are scarce as hens teeth. Thanks for the info though

11. Wesley

Wesley

bump, because I still need help.

12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i would check with TOTAL PEFORMANCE the T people.i know its not trad.type but any port in a storm

13. Wesley

Wesley

Thanks for the lead. What I am really looking for is info on just the core. I want to build my own tanks so I can put a heat exchanger in the bottom tank for the engine oil.