Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T Frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Chandler, Sep 5, 2010.

1. David Chandler

David Chandler

I just got a Model T frame, and was wondering if they varried with the year of manufacture? It came with a front end, which had wooden spoke wheels on it, but I don't know if it originally was used on this one?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

26-27 had a different rear crossmember than the earlier models.

3. Swifster

Swifster

Ford didn't stamp the serial numbers on the frame until '25 or '26. Before that time, the serial number used for titling purposes is the engine number.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

Interesting stuff. Mine seems to be about 23 inches wide, and three inches deep in the center, and roughtly 98 1/2 between the front and rear crossmembers center holes. The rear crossmenber sticks out slightly on each side, and it's width is consistant from one part to the next, unlike a model a rear crossmember. I didn't bother to look for any numbers on it yet.
    Thanks Again,
    Dave

5. nightperson

nightperson

wescott has the dimensions- its 23 outside to outside and should be 99.25 wheel base

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If rear crossmember sticks out several inches on each side, it's a '26-7. 1926 was available with wood or wire wheels, '27's all had wires i think except pickups.
    Go to MTFCA site and use the Model T encyclopedia to figgerout vintage of the various bits you have.

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Need a picture to really help you out-

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you know what a Model A rear crossmember looks like a 26-27 T rear crossmember will look somewhat like it. Does the T rear crossmember have a flange on the bottom or is it just a C ot U section. If it is the U shape most likely it is a 1915-25 frame. Details like running board bracket holes will help pinpoint the era it is from. Post some photos. :)

9. David Chandler

David Chandler

Yeah, the rear crossmember is simply an upside down C channel with a formed hump in the middle. It lacks any sort of flange on the lower edges like a Model A has.
    I realize a picture would help but my camera died, so I can't offer one for you to look at.
    However I do appreciate all of your comments on this.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

10. David Chandler

David Chandler

Sorry I can't take a picture of it for the moment. I own three cameras and none of them work. However the rear crossmember is simply a stamped U channel and lacks any flanges on the lower sides of it, like a Model A has.
    I do appreciate the feedback though. I haven't decided what if anything that I'll do with it for the moment. I do know of a "bucket" that's an original sitting in the weeds not far from here. I'm not looking for another project right now, but if the guy wanted to part with it, I might be tempted.
    Thanks Again.
    Dave