Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model A's: The many adaptations...Post pics please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyThirty, Jul 12, 2008.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I've been thinking about the Model A Ford a lot lately, because I'm planning on re-conceiving mine this winter, and as I look at different parts, do searches, browse peoples sites, I find it interesting the innovation and imagination which was brought to this car, not only from Hot-rodders, but just from the general public, and neccesity.

I think that there are more unusual adaptations built upon this platform, then just about any other single piece of self-propelled equipment, short of the tractor...or, perhaps eclipsing the tractor, since I can't recall anyone making a tractor into a car!

Obviously, this was founded upon two things, which occured simultaneously:

1. Availability: For the first time, really, we were experiencing mass-availability to the public...the industrial revolution put these little freedom-makers out there for the grabbing, and they were a natural-born beast of burden...it is a testament to their design and construction that so many of them survive still today...

2. Innovation: This availability occured right at a time when people, for the large part, seemed to be teeming with imagination, and need...mechanical conception was a part of life, and a requirement for farm life, as it still is, really...you use what you have, and find a way to adapt it...the Model A was a tool...it was a gas-powered mule. All you need do was figure out how to take advantage of its energy in the appropriate fashion.
    I wasn't there...I am drawing my own conclusions, but, I'd love to see pics, and hear stories from those that were, or anyone else with some interesting history, on these cars other varied uses, because no other automobile, likely, will ever compare to its versatility in employment, even if it has the potential, due to the fact that it is just no longer neccesary.

Our cars at this time, tend to just act as cars....

Model A's...perhaps the most important car in American history?

If there is a thread already about this, and with pics, please point me in its direction, because searching anything Model A doesn't always net too many pin-point results...due to the "A" being one letter...

If not, please post any pics, and info you have: Doodlebugs, irrigation engines, snowmobiles, whatever...

Also, as a side note: Why do you think that you don't see this diversity as much in the Model T? Production figures???

Learn me...I weren't there!

thanks,
    Mark.

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

C'mon...

Everyone knows how to channel them and put them on Deuce rails...
    I demand history...or at least a few smart-remarks!

ehhh...

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Model A trucks or should I say AA trucks probably were more a product for adaptions in one sense with different bodies and sizes to cope with the demands of a growing economy of the time.

For example the overhead valve conversion, and the fact that the model A engine had aviation design influences of the era.

As far as cars went, it was so basic and simple that it really did not need adaptions except to say in some countries where it was sold they did not get all the body styles so local did body mods like in Australia where imports were mostly restricted to soft models and no pickups or very few if any so the locals would cut up phaetons etc to make the Aussie version of a pickup which became later know as the ute (utility).

Maybe Rocky Mountain brakes could be considered an adaption!

I also recall reading an article about a model A chassis that had the early flathead V8 fitted to it and it was known as a Jeep eater, would pretty well go any where a 4WD jeep would.

I have seen a couple of pic's of model A's with tracks attached to the rear axle and I guess folks have tried to turn them into almost anything abit like VW bettles in the 60"s.

Farms I would say saw most mods done probably thru necessity until hot rodding and early speedway or dirt track racing saw these vehicles as a cheap source and available in huge numbers.

I am sure there are others out there who could shed more light on the topic.

Any other adaptions we mostly know about which have been products of technology say adding 35 wire wheels or juice brakes, dropped axles or playing with split wishbones and the like.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. Heres something you might find interesting.I got this from a thread on here about a year ago..Shows the dimensions and side profile of all the Model A's....

http://home.cogeco.ca/~deuceguy/