Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A with 4 axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Jan 29, 2010.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Tell me what this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it worth anything? Or do I cut the axles off and build a car out of it?

2. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

It might have been built to use in the snow or muddy fields.

I doubt it's worth anything as a cobbled up contraption.

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

yours go grab it out of there!

4. Carter

Carter

31 tudor sedan
    Not sure about the axles...
    Heck yea get it and build it.

5. lorodz

lorodz

drag it outta there and get a better look as to how it was built and post lots of pictures just my 2c

6. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

Ah Menomonie, I miss that town sometimes.... Had many great times there. Cut the axles off and make it your own.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Model As were turned into all sorts of tractor/doodlebug/transsexual contraptions years ago, when you could buy one for $5-$10. The axles themselves may be worth a few bucks, depending on what they are.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hell at a minimum you got a body..and something strange under it all..Give it a home, and tell us what your plans are for it

9. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

The axles were built into it. I believe it is an ARP Conversion, but Im not sure. I have seen pictures on here before though.

10. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Collectors are looking for ARP conversions and parts, if that's what it truly is, somebody somewhere is probably interested in those parts.

11. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The back half is 28-29 Ford while the cowl is a 31 Ford. It is on a 28-31 Ford Frame.

It's worth dragging out and salvaging parts.

12. Looks like somebody had a welder, too many spare Model A parts, and too much time on his hands.

13. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I have looked at allot of pictures of an ARP conversion and I'm sure that's what I have. Even has the funky front hub for the ski's.

How do you know the rear is a 29? I actually have a 29 tudor cowl and doors!

14. You could buy snow tracks to fit over the 3 sets of rear tires but usually they would fit skies to the front axles.

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Don't know what the rear fenders are on it though,,they called em "Snowbirds"

Mostly don on Model T's ( 4 rear wheels ) ,,but also done thought the 40's

I would grab the whole thing and very carefully at that,,

look and see if it has the turn buckles just behind the front wheels

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  16. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

they are not axles just placed under... If u look close. The rear of the body was just set in place. There are two sets of sub rails. The ones from the rear are at an angle hanging in the air. So the fender was an after thought. It wasn't used for snow so that's why the skis are gone. I am 90% pos it is a ARP conversion. But who can confirm that the rear is a 29?

17. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Again! Fender is after thought. There is one subrail sitting over another subrail. So someone added the rear section at some time. It lifts right off with little effort. The frill shell and radiator is siiting in the garage too! All the fins are in good shape!

18. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Snowbird Chassis then , with a body plopped on top

19. from the pictures it looks like the 2nd axle took most of the load. why not resurrect the multi axle look from the mid 80's mini trucks. or snarf 2 skid steer setups from a couple of bobcats. be the only kat in town with a skid steer hot rod.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Carefully remove every bit of that car and put it on the market if you don't want it yourself. Snowbirds have a fairly big following these days. :)

21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Snowmobile ,maybe tracks over the tires / boggies ? Skis on the front for snow,tires for mud ? Get and take it home for many hours of research and beer drinking .

22. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

It does have the turn buckles! and there is chain and track material laung everywere...

I will let it go, All I want is a drivable madel A chassis!
    I can take much more pictures next weekend!

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someone out there should be able to swap you for a running chassis.:)

24. If it wasn't in Wisconsin and me in NY I'd be asking for directions already. What the hell, if you're going to leave money laying there on the ground, I have no problem going and picking it up and turning it into cash.

Which I mean, that's basically what it is, a stack of $100s laying in the woods, if it's not what you want it's just as easily either sellable outright or tradable for what you do want. Yeah, it's a little more difficult to pick up than a dollar bill, but that's how you earn your pay on it. No, you're not going to retire on it, but you'll be at least $500 ahead and probably more when you're done. *scratches head*

25. Sure is an ARP/snowbird . Not often seen in their natural habitat. :eek: The two middle axles won,t be much use as they have been lengthened to hang outside of the car. The front and rear axles will probably have these things bolted on. The units on the rear are pretty heavy. Once removed you have a normal axle. Same for the front axle.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    • rear2.JPG
      rear2.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So, could it be an ARP chassis with the skiis removed and road wheels put back on for use in warmer weather? Gary

27. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Look at the beltline.
    28 - 29 is flat, 30 - 31 has some contour in it.
    Pic is left corner back, only pic I had on hand :)

[​IMG]

28. flatford39

flatford39

By the belt line.

29. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Those axles havent been lengthened. They are the same width as the rest. The vehicle was used in a marshy area for harvesting. So I do not believe that there would be any ski's with it unfortunatly.

I would trade anyone with a 28-29 pickup!

30. OK , i,ll put it another way. In the second pic you posted you can see that the rear wheel is way outboard. Thats because of the reduction unit that is bolted to the end of the stock rear axle.The middle wheels have to line up with the back wheels so that the tracks will fit. Thus the middle axles will be longer than a normal I beam front axle. Maybe they are just 2 inch solid square steel.