Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A windshield pics needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barry D, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Hi, I'm trying to mount my windshield frame so it will swing out. All I got with the car was the frame and it and the car have been chopped 3 inches. I think I bought all the hardware or close to it. Does anyone have any pics of their installed upper hinge and side mounts and slides so I can see what I'm trying to assemble? I think I'm missing something where the upper hinge mounts and maybe also on the A-pillars from when it was chopped. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. charlieb66

charlieb66

The upper hinge is screwed to the wood header. You may be missing the upper hinge, check MAC'S website for a pic. There is a stud on each WS post for the slides, also available from MAC'S. Order a catalog.

3. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this drawing a while back when I was trying to figure out how mine went together. Forget where I found it, but it might help.

[​IMG]

4. Canuck

Canuck

Some pictures in the last couple of entries in my Blog, showing the different slide mounting brackets and the difference on the lower air baffle between the years.

28-29 and 30-31 have different hinges on the body side.

The drawing posted is a good one on how the hinge area goes together.

Canuck

5. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

how about this, i hope it helps

Attached Files:

6. Thanks Guys... I think I can figure out the slides now. My hardest part is with the top hinge. I have one, but apparently I'm missing the wood that goes across the top. The drawing helps, but wish I could see a pic of the upper hinge installed. Thanks Again!

7. Canuck

Canuck

Barry

Wagoon's drawing is quite accurate, it does not show the angle iron cross piece that joins you door posts together along the back side. The hinge detail is accurate for a 30-31 hinge, 28-29 is different.

To put it all together, you need the wood header or a metal replacement (not easy to make), it also ties in to the wood going over the door tops and the wood going along the roof opening from front to back. This is covered with the cover plate with a welting along the top to seal to the visor. All major connections tied together with formed metal connector plates bolted in place.

Some fairly decent pictures of the wood installed in the January section of my blog. I am not using the original style welting across the visor as a seal. Rolled a replacement out of steel and will use modern sealers to keep the wet stuff out.

Canuck

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

When I did my 31 pick up
    I welded 1 x 2 tube across the top of the A pillars - drilled and tapped for the hinge …. In place of the angle and wood

I plan to do the coupe im do right now the same

9. Thanks Again.... After looking at the drawing and taking a better look at my car ( a 30), It is all much clearer. I think I can get the upper hinge mounted and the slides should be no problem. I've wanted an A as long as I can remember, but never learned much about them and never knew anyone that had one. So I'm trying to figure out what all mine is missing a little at a time. It's kind of stripped out since it has been a race car most of it's life. I want to drive it rather than race it.

10. Thanks all. Got it together and working!

Attached Files: