Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Model A torque tube exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old skool, Oct 24, 2011.

1. old skool

old skool
    from VA

Hello,

I was reading a book about the early days of salt lake racing and it mentioned that guys were making exhaust systems from old Ford Model A torque tubes. Anyone have any photos? I have looked at many photos, but no good shots.
    There is a guy I know in town who told me they would put the narrow part at the end. I tought they would put the wide part at the end of the exhaust. Any thoughts on the matter? I want to make one, but I wanted to do a little research.

Thanks,
    Marty

2. F&J

F&J

There are some threads on hamb. Advanced search for titles-only, with "torque tube headers" or exhaust should find them.

They are 1935 for sure, and I think 36 inner driveshaft which is tapered on both ends. Cut in half to get 2 cones. Big end always went to the rear.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

no no no, you need the 35

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. old skool

old skool
    from VA

I was thinking of using a drive shaft (saw some info about those also). I have one floating round. Thought that would look better. I have a model A drive shaft. I should mention that I will be running a four banger engine.

Thanks,
    Marty

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

5. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I'm pretty sure I have seen ordinary drive shafts cut up for exhaust pipes because they sound cool. Just can't remember where.

6. woodypecker

woodypecker

Bishop Tardel book talkes about this.

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

8. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I did this set on Bulls car. Plus a ton others nailheads, hemis, caddys, sb chevys exc....

Attached Files:

9. Actual torque tubes are rather heavy. They could be used as side straight pipes with the proper support. I have never seen actual torque tubes used to make lakes style headers. However, the tubular drive shafts that Ford used (inside the torque tubes) in 35-36 have been traditional hot rod header material from way back in the day. Pictures show a set that Salt Flat Matt here on the HAMB built for me.

Attached Files:

10. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

Yes, I agree, 1935-'36 Ford Drive shaft, not torque tube. 1935-36 were the only years a hollow drive shaft was used inside the torque tube. At least that is my understanding. My headers are attached and I used the '35-'36 tubes.

Attached Files:

11. 117harv

117harv

<TABLE class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG]</TD><TD id=td_threadtitle_523054 class=alt1 title="So I am looking to change from my current lakes style headers to something similar to those pictured below. I'm looking to see more pics -- especially those on a SBC. Thanks!

Here's my roadster with the current lakes style headers:...">Torque Tube Headers
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here is a thread.

12. F&J

F&J

Hey is that a V6? :)

Beautiful headers AND the 303 ..

13. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

[​IMG]williams bros. roadster used late style torque tubes.