Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A suspension questions....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sodakmini, Mar 22, 2015.

1. sodakmini

sodakmini

My first hot rod build. 27' Tudor on a A frame. Want to run stock straight frame rails, no kick up. Running stock axle with 2" drop reverse eye spring behind the axle, with a 2" drop crossmember up front. I'm trying to figure out what to do outback. Ford 9". T spring? A spring??? Would like a classy rake..behind or in front of axle? Running tall skinnys in back and little skinnys up front. Kinda vague but I'm a bit confused. Thanks in advance guys. Go ahead and poke some fun, I'm still learning.

2. lorodz

lorodz

go with a small z'd frame out back get a reverse eye rear model A spring and perch kit .from posies you wont be disapointed just re di my suspension with these parts ride like a dream .before with stock A spring oiut back it was rigid...good luck

3. 100% Matt

100% Matt

How about. T-Spring built to A-Spring width? Search the classifieds for "hot rod spring"

4. sodakmini

sodakmini

If I ran that hot rod spring or a T medium arch spring with a spacer could I get by without z'ing frame?

5. sodakmini

sodakmini

I've got a few kids would like as much room in cab as possible for a back seat. My reasoning for not z'ing.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. lorodz

lorodz

I just z'd my car 2" and put a 3" reverse eye spring .in mine I have a rumble seat and their is still plenty of room

7. sodakmini

sodakmini

Lorodz any pics?

8. And still room for the rumble seat?

9. 117harv

117harv

We all like different looks, i'm a big fan of straight frame rails. A T spring will lower the rear about 2 inch, more depending on sag or leaves removed. As far as the rear end, an 8" is fine and typically narrower than most nines. You didn't mention if you are running sans fenders?

10. sodakmini

sodakmini

No fenders. Once 9" is centered it should work well I think. Anybody have a pic of said setup by chance.

11. metal man

metal man

I would agree that a T spring is a good plan for the rear, especially since Z-ing the frame isn't the best idea for a beginner to do himself.
    Back to the front end for a minute...if I am understanding you, you are using a pretty flat(2" lowered) reversed eye spring behind the axle, combined with a 2" lower (flatter) than stock cross member. That sounds to me like the axle is going to contact the frame with very little suspension travel ? Are you removing the frame horns? Have you taken into account the additional wheelbase ?

12. sodakmini

sodakmini

Would like to keep frame horns. So maybe a stock front spring is in order?

13. sodakmini

sodakmini

I'm pretty confident in my welding and fab skills. I could z if needed safely n cleanly But I want the look of straight rails

117harv likes this.
  14. Beau

Beau

I guess it depends on how low you want it. I'm running a 37 front spring on the rear, spring on top. I de-arched it a bit. I have about a 9" upsweep in the back with a flat crossmember.

15. sodakmini

sodakmini

Think I a start with some stock A springs and see where I sit. Then modify from there.

16. sodakmini

sodakmini

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427093430.706865.jpg

I really like this stance. Anyone know who's it is or what he used/did

dana barlow likes this.
  17. sodakmini

sodakmini

18. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

My approach to this lowering of a Model A was to use the Posie 35-40 rear sping behind the axle (9" ford) with a Speedway Mid arch model A rear spring, I extended the frame approx 5" to compensate for the rear spring re-location keeping the centerline of the axle to A specs. On the front I used a non-dropped 37-40 front Axle, with fabricated perches thru the split wishbones (1940 ford) with the spring behind the axle. (Posie # 2005 I think)
    I was gong to cut the front frame horns and raise them up the width of the cut to avoid interference and then reinforce them with a 45 degree gusset along the top of the frame. I sold the project to finace my Forty coupe but the look/stance would be what I was looking for. See photos

Attached Files:

19. metal man

metal man

That car was built by and still owned by another Ohio hamber who gos by scrap metal 48. I'm sure he will share some build pics with you. As you can see, he removed the frame horns. I'm not sure if it was just for styling, or if it was necessary for suspension travel.

20. sodakmini

sodakmini

Cool. Thanks metal!

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

July sedan 016.JPG Yea, the 29 sedan was mine.. The front end is a Mor-dropped A axle with a spring behind.. Extended the wheelbase 5"...

22. metal man

metal man

23. metal man

metal man

Was ? I thought you still had it.

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I sold it a month after I finished it.. Am working on a 31 coupe now...

25. since Z-ing the frame isn't the best idea for a beginner to do himself.

Only the rookies who turned 15 before 1948 could pull it off, you know them traditional beginners.

26. sodakmini

sodakmini

Scrap. What's the rear set up?

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

29 sedan almost 008.JPG Hey soda, Frame has a 2" rear kick-up with a spring behind axle set up...

28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

We did a spring install the other day on 28 Roadster. We used our hot rod spring with a reversed eye main leaf with 3 leafs removed. It gave us a 4" drop from stock height. This particular car has 6:00 tires upfront and 6:50s in the rear
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427383243.087249.jpg

telecustom likes this.
  29. SavageBeast

SavageBeast

Would you mind sharing pics?

30. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The biggest issue that I see is that the stock Model A spring is over the axle. If you duplicate that set up with a 9" the back of the car sit's way too high. I don't see another solution other than modifying your frame.

fiftyv8 likes this.