Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A subrail question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edcj7, Apr 1, 2016.

1. edcj7

edcj7

I'm putting a Model A on a 32 frame but my subrails are rusty so I am thinking about replacing them. A friend of mine who has built a lot of hot rods throughout the years is recommending that I just do away with the subrails and use square tubing. He said it would be easier to make it fit the 32 frame. The frame has been pinched but I'm concerned with the gaps between the subrails and the frame. I'm not sure how to get the subrails to fit the 32 frame but it seems like a lot of people do it. I've looked at a lot of post on here but I haven't found one that really shows how they are put together with the gaps and everything. I just need advice on the best way to go, either buy new subrails or just use square tubing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. alchemy

alchemy

How talented of a fabricator are you? Making your own sub rails may give you a tighter fit if you are good at it, or not really if you are a beginner.

If you make your own sub rails it will require a lot of special rework on the bottom edge of the body to fit the cowl and quarters to it.

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Just buy the subrails that Steadfast sells

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would save you many hours of fabrication time. This will show you what his look like
    www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1301rc-steadfast-sub-rail-kit/
    Someone did a thread on making subrails for just what you are wanting to do on here a while back that goes into the details of making them.

The37Kid likes this.

5. edcj7

edcj7

Thanks a lot for the advice I really appreciate it.

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

My .02 worth?--I feel you would be better off with new stock sub rails- you will have to modify the rear section because of the kick in the back of the '32 frame (a stock model A frame is flat).
    The stock sub frame will insure that the body panels are located in the correct position to each other, make getting everything lined up easier, and help with getting the doors working correctly. ( which can be a PITA on a Model A !)
    Take your time and fit all the panels before welding anything ( clamps and tack welding).Once the body is together, you can brace it and modify the sub frame to fit the '32 frame.

Good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

cometman98006 likes this.
  7. edcj7

edcj7

Thanks Mike. My friend was saying it would fit against the frame better with the tubing but I agree with you about how all the panels and doors will fit. Plus, I think it will look a lot better. I was just concerned with the gaps between the frame and the subrail but I guess it was the same thing with the original frame. I think it will be fine. Thanks again.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for that link Mr48chev, that is the setup I'll use on my '30 Roadster. I like the way they trimmed the rear wheel inner fender panel to expose more frame rail. Bob

9. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Why are the sub rails $500?guess I'll bite the bullet

10. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak