Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model a steering column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjcat, Mar 27, 2014.

1. mjcat

mjcat

Hey guys, one of my current projects I am doing to my coupe is looking into putting a different steering column in the car. The current column instal is kinda questionable looking. I'm not looking for a big huge aftermarket column. I would however like to have turn signals on the column. What types of columns is everyone using? I've seen a few model A's running a 50's truck style column which looks pretty good. All your input would be great, pictures would b even better.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Depends what kinda steering box/column you have in the car already.

3. mjcat

mjcat

Vega box

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Bump, I could use some info on this also.
    -Pat

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can use a 40's - 50's column, but will have to do some mods as the steering shaft is solid to the gear box. Cut it off above the box, (measure first), cut column mast to the correct length, you'll have to add a bearing to the bottom. Cut the inner shaft to the correct length, and mill or grind the ends in a double D fashion and you can use a Borgeson or other universal on the end. The young guy (don't remember his HAMB name) on here building the Graham truck in Alaska had a good tech on something similar.

6. classic gary

classic gary

I'm using a '56 chevy pass car column in my '28 ford. Cut the shaft about 1" above the the box, double D the shaft, a u-joint, a shaft, another u-joint at the vega box. Turn signals, parts availability, easy-peasy.

and the car column is easy to get steering wheel adapters for.........

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  7. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

53 Chevy steering column is going into my 30 Model A.

8. Postal Jeep with an add on t/s switch, short, old looking and has 36 spline (I think).

Attached Files: