Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A speedo cable question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Apr 21, 2007.

1. mramc1

mramc1

Now that my Model A RPU is on the road (YES!) I just need to hook up the emergency brake and speedo to get it inspected. I have the original oval Model A drum speedometer and will be hooking it to a Mopar style hookup on the tranny. Does anyone with a Mopar tranny and original speedo have any part numbers or cable suggestions that would thread on to both? Do I need an adapter to go from the smaller Model A tread pattern to the larger Mopar thread? Any help would be much appreciated.

Josh Quick

2. NOBILLETA

NOBILLETA

I'm useing the model A oval speedo in my coupe, only to a flato C4, I found that none of the tranny gears available from ford, or aftermarket would allow proper calibration, so I had to have a ratio adapter made to get it right, a good speedometer shop should be able to build you one that takes the stock model A cable in, and build you a short mopar cable for the out. Another up side is that the gears in the adapter can be easily changed for fine adjustment . It took a little playing with mine but now its spot on. Heavy truck places in many cases supply this service. A place in Albany N.Y. did mine, so if you can't find anybody local you can take a short 4 hour hot rod ride over scenic route 20 and get it done there. Oh by the way original A speedos are far from linear and smooth even when calabrated properly, sure look cool though.

3. mramc1

mramc1

Thanks. Anyone else have any ideas?

Josh Quick