Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sedan Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy_H, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Andy_H

Andy_H

Hello all,
    I was wondering if it is worth the effort to buy and build a 1931 Model A sedan that currently has no roof from the belt line up and from the doors back. Whoever had this car has chop the entire roof off and it is no longer there. I am guessing that it would be hard to find a "donor" car with side and roof pieces that I could just weld on. Would I be ahead of the game just looking for a Model A that is more complete and just pay a little more for it? I am not scared to fabricate frames, suspension and all that, but I have never done a lot of sheet metal work and I don't have an english wheel and all that cool stuff. Just thought I would get some of your opinions since I value them from this site. I think I could get the body for somewhere between $500-$800. Thanks for your input in advance.

Andy

2. Wildfire

Wildfire

Build a tub - who needs a roof anyway...

Oh, I see you're in Idaho, you may want a roof. Check out my avatar - that used to be a sedan.

3. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

if its missing that much i dont thinks its worth 5. i bought my fordor sedan missing rear doors for 500. rest of it s ok.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

If it has a title for $500 I would jump on it. Whatever sheet metal is missing, the rest will materialize if you have time to hit a half dozen old car shap meets in the coming year. You would be surprised how many people cut the top off to clone a roadster.

5. Andy_H

Andy_H

No title, just a bill of sale. I got a title for my '37 dodge pickup that I just built with just a bill of sale. It was a little bit of a pain but I got it! So that is a factor but still shouldn't be a deal killer I don't think.

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If it has decent doors that the tops have not been cut off and the bottom end of the whole thing is not rusted out, then it probably is worth the $500-800. It shouldn't be too hard finding a rusted out donor body to get the missing roof sections.

7. flynstone

flynstone

on my sedan the above the belt line is riveted on....... doors are hard to find cause they are longer than the coupe .......

8. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I think it is a great start for a homemade tub. Personally, I like tubs. Especially with a toneau cover over the rear and a rollbar. I know most of these pics are phaetons, but the point should come across...

Attached Files:

9. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

You didn't say if the body was a Tudor or Fordor??? About 25% of all Model A's produced were Tudor's...a donor shouldn't be to hard to find.

I'd probably look for a better body...

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Build it, and riders and smiles will come from all around