Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A`s they are like buses -they all come along at once!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trikejunkie, May 13, 2021.

1. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Hi all, I thought I might start a (long winded ) thread on this 1930 pick up I just " picked up" .Two years ago I decided to sell my Chevrolet motorhome on ebay -it didn`t sell (surprise surprise) roll on a year and I spotted this A pick up on ebay with possible swap for a Harley so I dropped the guy a message - I had an evo harley I was wanting to shift,turns out we had been in contact about my motorhome sale-guy was genuine so I whats -apped him some pics,he wasn`t interested but in the background of my picture was an old shovelhead I had picked up....pure abused and desecrated machine -he loved it and would I swap!!!! Deal done.....5 months later (due to travel restrictions) I rocked up at his house with a livestock trailer and a Hog inside :) 1 hour later me and the missus drove off with a solid 1930 model A pick up and some bonus stuff .It came from Vegas and the story goes an older gent was collecting stuff to restore it (boxes and boxes of new parts and new bolts) then unfortunately passed away - his wife promptly sold it ! ( lesson to be learned) 1100 miles in an ageing nissan 4x4, £300 in diesel and I scored a extremely cheap 1930 pick up with all parts to rebuild as standard.......that would be boring though lol,Does anyone recognise it? s-l1600 (2).png IMG-20201205-WA0007.jpg s-l1600 (1).png

2. Budget36

Budget36

Nice for you. Damn though, thought you’d be saying how you found 1 and drug home a bunch more!
    Have some fun there.

3. That is totally SICK! Congrats, like big time. I sold a worn,stock 1972 Sporty for $1,300.00. So, I think that you did good.

trikejunkie likes this.
  4. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a late model Harley (06) with less than 5,000 miles. Been trying to sell
    casually. No interest. I sold my old pan head in two days.

panhead_pete likes this.

5. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Excellent score trikejunkie I'm sure big Ian could use the original running gear

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some folks dont realise what a score that is outside the USA. Congrats!

7. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I am going to keep it stock ............except for a Thomas head ,a dual carb inlet manifold and a y type exhaust header-it had no engine(guy sold it before he tried to register it) but I have a 5 window coupe that has an original engine and gearbox in it and new 19" wheels and tyres .It may get a 4" dropped axle and a lowered rear spring which I have ,but I will have to work out how to use the rod brakes with the dropped axle.It will be a basic 4 banger hot rod to be sold on to fund my coupe build (getting expensive) as I want to make sure the coupe has all the "right stuff" from the outset.

winduptoy and mrquickwhip like this.
  8. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

You are correct ....mind you ,try and buy a complete unmolested(all be it extremely rough) flh shovelhead in the UK!!! I was lucky to buy it years ago when the prices were way lower than they are now so the deal worked in my favour.

panhead_pete likes this.
  9. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I don`t know if you have saw my other thread on here but I was looking for a pick up in 2019 -couldn`t find one in my budget so bought a coupe in Sacramento and had it shipped here ,all that time the guy that was interested in buying my motorhome had a pick up only 550 miles away from me!Typical lol, but now I have them both I prefer the coupe but this deal was too good to pass up.

Budget36 likes this.
  10. Look at it this way...now you have a parts getter, or rescue truck, for your coupe. Win/win!

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pretty little truck...The A pickups are nice in size, chassis same as coupes, roadsters & sedans.
    My former partner had an 'A' pickup, ('29 'Phone Booth') so I used it for small deliveries for the shop.
    We had a magnetic pair of placards for the doors, actually had potential customers follow me 'home' to the shop for estimates!
    Heavy items (towed/trailered cars, Hemi engines, etc. were handled by my '55 F100, but that Model A was just a peach to tool around in...

trikejunkie likes this.