Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Roadsters - Why 29 on 32 Rails?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bored&Stroked, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

another possible explaination might be that there were more '29 Roadsters produced than any other year,

there were
    81,937 Roadsters produced in 1928
    191,529 in 1929,
    124,219 in 1930,
    and only 58,496 in 1931

2. magnet

magnet

So in matching a '30-'31 to a deuce frame.. if the A body if straight across the bottom.. how much "swoop" is there in the deuce frame? 3/4" or 1-1/2" or something? And would you use welting or rubber or something between the body and the frame?

I saw in speedway they had flat top deuce rails... anyone ever use those?

Thanks for all the info fellas.

3. So: Is the cowl section and fit to a 32 frame the same on coupes as in roadsters? Are 28-29 coupe bodies the same/similar like roadsters and the 30 - 31 as well?

Just pondering new projects . . . need to know what Model A bodies I want to look for and why.

Thanks!

4. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

I don't mean to derail the topic, but does anyone have pictures of a Model A Pickup of any year, on '32 Rails, without the skirt between the running board and lower body? Is it at all possible to build a Model A Pickup on '32 Rails?

5. Weasel

Weasel

Post #19 on this thread.

6. balloonfoot

balloonfoot
    from SoCal

I beleive the choice between '28-'29 bodies and '30-'31 bodies on deuce rails is strictly a matter of what turns you on or off. Some like the "little" cowl and some hate it. The big problem on '28-'29s is getting the hood line to not to run uphill or at least to appear that way. For Bonneville I chose the '29. If I was to build a street Hiboy it would be a deuce all the way.

7. This is a great thread. I've had some questions about this very subject lately.
    Very informative. thanks guys
    Mark

8. It is very simple. A 28/29 on Deuce rails is the Quintessential "Hot Rod"

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, another old thread. I didn't realise until I read down to C9s answer, I almost shit!! Damn, hes one of the guys I really miss these days.

Doc.

10. Chemin

Chemin

Fascinating, being relatively young and new at this it's great to read about why things were done the way they were.

11. dawford

dawford

Back in the day many Hot Rodders used what they had to build what they wanted.

Today many of us have the where with all to buy what we need to build what want.

Those who build what they can out of what they have or can get cheaply are probably still the closest to the true traditional hot rodders.

If you can take a bunch of miss matched parts and a frame and put them together so that they look like they were meant to be together and they go fast you are probably a Hot Rodder.

My standards are listed below.

If it looks good and goes fast you are a Hot Rodder.

If it looks good, goes fast and is safe you are a good Hot Rodder.

If it looks good, goes fast, is safe and handles well you are an excellent Hot Rodder.

If it looks good, goes fast, is safe, handles well and is comfortable you are a fantastic Hot Rodder.

Notice I don't include looks fast as one of my standards because personally I like sleepers. They are cars that look stock or mild but perform beyond what they look like they should.

Back in the day not everyone had a car of any kind.

My father was born in Los Angeles California in 1915.

He said that as a young boy he saw more horses, wagons, street cars, busses and taxies than he did private automobiles.

This in Los Angeles, a hot bed of the development of the Hot Rod.

If the Hot Rod was born before WWII he saw much of its birth.

Being the Observer of life that he was he related much of his early life to me and my brothers.

He related many of his experiences with what he called Jalopies.

A term used in the mid 20s untill after WWII to denote old run down and beat up cars.

I used to watch the announcer Dick Lane on KTLA TVs Jalopy Derby held at Ascot stadium in Cardena Ca. in the early 50s.

Anyway Dad said that he got his first drivers license at 14 years of age.

My Grandfather managed an Ice Cream Co. and was fairly well off for those days. They always had a car, not a ford but a larger make.

Dad related that he was very close to his father but was not coddled by him. He had to work for everything he got.

This would have been about 1929.

His first car was a Model T Ford touring car (Jalopy) that he was given by the mechanic at the local gas station where he worked after school.

The Mechanic said that he could have the Model T if he could drive it away.

It needed parts which he got for free at the dump where many of these cars were deposited by people when they died. When the cars died not the people. :D

After getting the engine to run he would let the emergency brake off and the engine would stall. He didn't know that when he let the brake off the planetary transmission went into High gear.

The mechanic thought this was very funny but after several tries he figured it out and drove the car home.

His father let him keep the Jalopy behind the garage and he could drive it when he could buy the gas and oil to keep it running.

Working at the gas station provided him with a good supply of used oil which he said was good enough because it didn't stay in the engine/transmission long enough to do any damage anyway.

Now the gas was a different thing but being resourceful he would pump gas for customers, then after they left the station he would drain the drippings out of the hose into a gas can he had handy.

He admitted that he sometimes wasn't very patient waiting for the last dribbles of gas to drain into the customers tank when he would hang up the hose.

He also stated that he found that there were 2 easy ways to make a car go fast. One was to increase the hp, the other was to decrease the weight.

At that time he couldn't afford to increase the hp very much but he found that the early Model T heads put out 2 more hp than the late heads.

Thats a 10% increase that didn't cost more than a trip to the dump.

The same trip to the dump afforded an opportunity to take advantage of the second thing that would increase the speed of his car.

That was to unbolt the touring body and install a roadster body and who needs fenders in a city like L.A. He didn't drive that much in the rain anyway.

A 1909 ford weighed about 1200 or 1300 lbs by 1927 they weighed about 1600 to 1700 lbs.

While he didn't have the money to buy any of the performance parts he had friends who did and saw Rajo, Frontinac and other speed parts installed on Model Ts.

And later Craiger, Winfield, Miller, Schofield, Crager and other speed parts installed on Model As and V8s.

Anyway, all of this to say that too many of us have come to to the point of building duplicates of cars that others have built.

Sort of stereo typical hot rods and we call them Traditional.

We worry too much about making them perfect and not enough about driving them and having hands on fun.

Too much about trophies and not enough about trips.

Years ago Norman Rockwells Saturday Evening Post magazine cover showed a three part picture of a father watching his little boy playing with a train made out of milk cartons, string and thread spools.

The second picture showed Christmas morning and the little boy with a new electric train.

The third picture showed that evening when the little boy was again playing with the train he had made out of cartons, string and spools, the parts he had on hand, and the parts that made use of his imagination and personal creativity.

Competition does often make for improvements and creativity but it can also take the little boy fun out of things.

Every one has their own ideas about what they want out of their cars.

I will definately make the good, the excellent Hot Rodder and maybe even the fantastic Hot Rodder as judged my me and too my standards.

They won't be finished untill I do.

Others have higher standards that they will strive for.

The important thing to remember is that little boys aren't worried about pleasing others and looking good isn't the most important concern either.

It's all about having fun and all hot rodders are little boys.

Even the girls are sometimes like little boys when it comes to Hot Rods.

But they are better looking and maybe are a little more concerned about looks.

There are many overlaps in boy girl interests and even though most Hot Rods are made by boys, girls are better to take on trips.

I prefer earley fords with fenders so it dosn't matter so much about the frames.

My Model A frames are just as ridgid as the 32 frames when I'm done with them anyway.

Dick :) :) :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    vonpahrkur likes this.
  12. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I find that 28's are harder to find than 29's maybe its just me.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Why not?... :)

Here's mine, mocked up

[​IMG]

Cali4niaCruiser likes this.
  14. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Because 29 was the most produced of any roadster bodies. If you were buying a roadster back in the day before any reproduction stated you most likely found 29 and for the best price. There were less 30-31 together than 29 only. Pick from Ahooga site 1927 to 1931.
    <table border="4"><tbody><tr><td colspan="7">Roadster</td> </tr><tr> <td align="right">[​IMG] Standard</td> <td align="right">269</td> <td align="right">81,937</td> <td align="right">191,529</td> <td align="right">112,901</td> <td align="right">5,499</td> <td align="right">392,135</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">[​IMG] Deluxe</td> <td align="right">-</td> <td align="right">-</td> <td align="right">-</td> <td align="right">11,318</td> <td align="right">52,997</td> <td align="right">64,31</td></tr></tbody></table>

15. 19-c

19-c

I prefer the 30-31 body on Duece rails thats just me though

16. zgears

zgears

17. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Fenderless 32 frame looks better. On fendered car the splash apron resembles the look with the A frame. Here in the HAMB are also some pics fendered 32 framed A's.
    One of my friends did opposite. His channelled roadster from individual pieces was mix of 32 quarters and 30-31 cowl with selfmade doors on A frame. He used 37 truck grille on that. It didn't look bad at all.

18. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

Well said Dawford, If the first hot rodders were all traditional we would all fuel with oats and hay.

Attached Files:

19. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Bored&stroked,

I find it interesting you ask this question.

Anyhow, When people refer to "29" on 32 rails they are basicaly using the "29" as a way to refer to that perticular model A body style. When you get into 28-29s the biggest thing is the cowl and how its narrower and shorter than the 30-32 cowl. At the lakes its one of the favorites because of just that, it wedges it self through the air better than the "fatter" 30-32 bodies. Back in the day when you could pick up '32s easly guys would remove the sedan bodies and replace them with model A roadster bodies for an easy way to get complete V8 power. Its also easier to hide stuff behind those taller rails and allows the radius rod side mounts to not hang down so much like they do on an A frame for a cleaner look. Its from its winning reputation at the lakes that the style became such an iconic style of roadster. A "29" roadster on deuce rails is one of my favorite styles!

20. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

they just look so good.

Attached Files:

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 946.jpg I dont have a clue My 29 on 32 rails

22. Take your pick..........I like 'em both...........

Attached Files:

23. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Why a 32 frame? Whats wrong with a 1928-29 on the model A frame!!

24. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

This is what i`m talking about.
    orange1929.jpg

orange 29.jpg

25. sololobo

sololobo

Great info post, this is some very cool stuff. ~sololobo~

26. countspanko

countspanko

the look-the stance-the history. see thom prufer.

27. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

I am courious about the 29 on 32 frame.

In the 40s, 50s when most people were building these cars, they would not have had the tools necessary to "pinch" the frame at the cowl.

Is my recollection incorrect or were the frames left deminsionaly stock and used a wood filler between the body and frame. This would have left an unsightly gap at that location, but these were generally lowbuck vehicles.

If I were to build one, that is thee way I'd be inclined to build it.

28. If necessary, they pinched the frame with his teeth!!

29. some old timer once told me.
    "we liked to go fast so we used the 28-29 body,and if some one showed up in a 30-31 we'd tell them . What the hell you doing in your sisters car Pal."

no joke . early scta guy.

SO HERE IS THE ONE I BUILT. 1931- "YOUR SISTERS CAR".

BALI-ROD

Attached Files: