Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear suspension?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Mar 10, 2009.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I've read every post I think on model a rear suspension. I have no money or car but I still think about this stuff. Say I was building an A sedan on deuce rails. And for giggles I did in in the vein of metalshapes roadster. Everything I've read says split wishbones on the rear are a no no. To complicate it farther, I want a back seat. I really like the pinkees setup with the quarter ellipticals seems to not use a lot of space. Now say I had access to a full machine shop after hours. Could I just make bushed "trailing arms" that look like split bones and mount outside the frame and use the quarter elliptics? Someone mentioned in one of the threads about using split bones and two bushings at the rearend. I know tman runs split bones and a torque arm setup, metalshapes just runs the bones. I'm rambling I know, but what I'm asking is does anyone see anything wrong with making rear "bones" out of solid stock and using bushings to mount them? Would it be possible to get away without the torque arm then? In the real world it doesn't matter because I have no car and no money but I can dream can't I? Any input anybody?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

3. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Rolling Bones has a nice set-up. They use split bones and turn them into ladder bars. They are mounted at an angle to get the chassis super low. Alas, I heard they only work on complete cars. One of the mags and an article on their chassises but I don't remember which one.

5. well ,i'm not not sure what you are really asking. you want to make a control arm , like a 4-bar, out of solid stock? or out of an old radius rod?

maybe a sketch of what your thinking would help

6. Koz

Koz

If your running old school styling the hot setup would still be the cross spring. Cheap, well engineered, easily available used parts and decent ride with the right spring rate.

As a side note, We built my ex brother in law a model A,(sort of), roadster for $1,100.00. If your interested I call extoll on how this came about. It was actually really fun and still on the road about 5 years later. Thankfully looking a little better. Most anybody could afford something like this.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you are building a sedan, I assume we're talking Model A Ford Tudor, to retain the back seat, I assume for the kiddies, you just have to forget about the 16-20" rear "zee" in the frame and all that happy groundcrawling jazz, and build a conventional model A chassis and you're in business. You can do alot to visually drop the car and a little to mechanically drop the car and you're on the road, carrying the wife and kids and having a great time.

8. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I am trying to avoid the giant Z and still make it plenty low. I was just thinking that trying to get the suspension links outside the frame somehow would free up more space to get it low and retain some room over the rear axle..and get it all in a small package thats why i was thinking ellipticals..Something like this in the picture, but make my own bones so they would be plenty stout and outside the frame. And then put bushings at the rearend mounts to lessen the bind maybe since they would be mounted outside the frame. Would some sort of torque arm be needed still? I am assuming so? I realize side to side move ment would probably be an issue too??

Attached Files:

9. Low is overated, been there, done that. My Tudor is going to seat 4 and sit as high as the Doane Spencer roadster to navigate those Mexican roads at warp speeds...........fuck the Federales! (and you thought it meant fuck the fenders;))?!

10. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery