Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Radiator ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbleed, Oct 17, 2003.

1. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I just picked up this Model A sedan. It has the cleanest body I've ever seen. It's also sitting on some sort of aftermarket frame with all the street rod stuff. I got it SUPER (you wouldn't believe it) cheap. Plan is to get it on the road and sell it to fund the "Bleed Super Coupe" HaHa.

Anyway, that frame is set up for a sbc and I was wondering if the stock raditator will cool it? The stock 32 radiator works awsome in my roadster, but is the Model A one too small? I will be putting in a stock 350.

Obviuosly this has been done a million times before, how does it cool?

I'm a street rodder now. Fuck the roadsters.

[​IMG]

2. beatnik

beatnik

Nice Wheels [​IMG] LOL

3. gregg

gregg
    from Fulton IL

Don't forget to feed the meter.

4. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

Bob tow truck guy here called yesterday and he has a rollover 88 chevy truck with a 40 thousand mile 350 350 for 2 bills. you need it? supposed to run great.

5. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Yeah, that would be PERRFECT. I'll call you.

Too bad I had to give the wheels back, I liked em. HaHa
    I also stole the chrome front axle and put it on the Bleedster.

Anyway, will a stock radiator cool a small block?
    Please?

6. spray it mexichrome and maybe scribe will put you in rod n custom magazine.

7. krupanut

krupanut

Mine works great with my small block.
    I've been using that Ice Water stuff in the summer down here and it runs 170 all day long.

8. abomber30

abomber30
    from syc, ILL

asshole sold it last night sorry bob

9. Elrod

Elrod

I have had 2 radiators that were only two core on my Model A four banger, and in the summer, it will overheat every time. I had to get a three core radiator to keep that little banger motor happy.

Will a Model A radiator cool a SBC? A two core one sure as hell won't. A three core might, but are you driving the thing around St. Paul, Minnesota or Miami Flordia?

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

A new radiator is a LOT cheaper than another engine.. [​IMG]

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ive had freinds run them on a stock sbc and not have any problems

tim

12. i'm amazed that people are saying a stock model A radiator will cool a 350 chevy when they can barely keep a stock 4-cylinder cool,they must have better luck than me.i think you are better off getting a new radiator and not have to worry about it. after changing the water necks,adding a pressue cap,cleaning,fixing the leaks, etc i'm sure any radiator shop will charge you at least $100-$150. a new walker is $468 installer price....distributor cost is $317.25...i'd shop around for a deal from one of Walkers distributors

13. jdubbya

jdubbya

I am running a stock radiator, it does the job just fine. I am not running a hood on mine, so that probably helps also.

14. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

36threewindow, I think that quite a lot of folks THINK they have a stock Model A radiator, but probally have an aftermarket radiator that is a bit beefier than a stock unit.

A real Ford two core stock Model A radiator will probally not cool a 300hp small block unless you have been a fanatic about perfect tuning.

Most "stock" Ford Model As that I've seen have had the radiator replaced. It's a fact. Heavy Duty replacement radiators have been for sale for more than 70 years. I've got a NOS "US Radiator" 4 core that was built as a stock replacement to be used with a stock banger engine and a non presureized system. It was built in '71 and had it been installed in some DMAFC member's car and parade driven for 30 years, it might have been mistaken for stock by someone not so familar with what "STOCK MODEL A" really is.

And I have no doubt that this chuck of brass will cool a 300hp small block. I will have convert it to a presureized system and move the fill from the top to the back.

15. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Yeah, I diddn't think it would work, but maybe if I get a stock radiator and MexiChrome it? Then Jim A would like me.

Maybe the later 30/31 type radiators work cause their bigger. But the 28/29 ones seem too small.

I guess I'll have to continue the theme and get a street rod one.

16. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

WHOA! Where's Bleed and what have you done with him ?!?