Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rad mount ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Jan 26, 2009.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Quick, dumb, double check question... I have the '66 Stang radiator/Model A grill shell set up. I made a 'U' out of 1x1 sqr tube... The question is: any reason to bolt it to the frame rather than weld it? Also, Any thing I need to brace for or pad?

Thanks, Jay

2. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I have 2 uprights bolted to the stock radiator mount holes on the frame... no rubber between them... hadn't had any problems...

3. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I have bolt holes that match the radiator. Do i need to bolt the radiator frame to the frame, or weld it up? It is a 2" x 3" x 3/16" tube frame, not a stocker... If that helps.

4. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

jesus christ! 3/16"! that's stout!

ask yourself this: once you weld this sucker on will you still be able to pull your motor and trans out?

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

bolt your 1" tube to the frame at the bottom with two 5/16" diameter bolts. As before I suggest rubber to dampen vibrations.

6. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Beef Stew: Great question! Your right, it would make it very tough... We all have to start somewhere... I'm learn'n, and will do it different next time. 16 months ago, I took advice where I could get it. ;-)

29nash: Thanks for the re-tip... I figured I needed a rubber pad!

I'll post up a pic next weekend.... Thanks again!

7. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I don't have a good pic of mine before the rad. shell went on... the 2 upright are welded to some flat steel and then bolted to the frame like 29nash said... then use the same radiator mount points on the radiator that would be used in a Mustang...

[​IMG]