Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A pickup visor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. magoo

magoo

A friend has a v8 60 powered closed cab A pickup with a vinyl covered visor .As soon as he takes it above about 40 mph air builds up in the visor and whistles and is generally annoying.Has anyone sucessfully vented one of these without it looking wrong.?He likes the look of the visor and as a last resort will make a steel one with louvres

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no expert on these visors, but I have had a 29 Tudor which I installed a louvred visor to help reduce wind flap and it did not really work/improve much.
    I thought the louvres would have let the wind pass thru and offer less resistance, but if it does it is not enough to stop it all together.

With respect to the A pickup visor which is almost the same as the 26/27 T coupe visor I have made using the original T skeleton frame and side plates and covered the rest with sheetmetal.
    I dont seem to be able to find some of my more detailed pic's but here is what I have for now.

As you will see from the pic's below I used, cut aces to again & help reduce flapping and hopefully reduce wind noise.
    It has not been tested yet, but I can tell you, I also made up a small support bracket which I installed at the center of the visor and it attaches back onto the header panel.

I am pretty sure it wont flap too much this time.

Attached Files:

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Attached Files:

4. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

That's a good idea. I was thinking of making some openings in my visor to cut down on the noise from air pushing below. Like the idea of lightening it up visually, just haven't decided on the final look just yet. In stock form, it could use the center support as a helper, otherwise it doesn't follow the slight roof crown exactly 100%.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yes, the match with the roof crown was a problem, but I kinder compromised lost a little shape but gained a way better visor.

6. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I have always found that louder mufflers will cure these problems and will also put a bigger smile on your face too :D