Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model a patch Panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UPState Bill, Mar 20, 2011.

1. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

I am attempting to install the patch panels on the rear of my coupe,the keyword here is attempting.My metal skills are on an entry level at best.I have the basic small hand tools but none of the high tech stuff.The pictures aren't great but you should get the idea The beading doesn't line up and the bigger problem is that the panel is about 3/8 short of lining up with the beading at the fender.Is there a way to fix this problem?Are these things junk and I should try to find another set? Or am I just missing something?I threw in a picture of a completed panel that I installed just so you would get the idea that I am capable to an extent.But this seems out of my league I realize that I blew the cut trying to line up the panel but thats the least of my problems
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Ya gotta slicem and dicem to make them fit.

3. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

It can be saved with a few v cuts and adding in ,find some posts on chopping top and look at the window area to give you a idea how its done to match joints Joe

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

These repopped panel are about what's available today................yhe good news is they can be fixed!

In your photo to the left, cut a slit into the middle of the bead, say about 1 1/2''-2'', follow the shape of the bead. Now, pry the bead open, with a screw driver, until the outside line of the bead more closely follows the correct bead's line. Cut a thin wedge filler piece to fill the hollow you've made with your slit, and weld the area up, hammering & dollying as you go to reshape the panel.

In the second photo, you'll need to straighten that middle bead with a hammer & dolly, weld the new & old together, and hammerweld to a finished shape. I'd cut a templet from a thin piece of cardboard, and use this as a guide to reshape that center bead's line. Use the otherside of the vehicle's quarter to get a good templet shape from. Lay up the templet to the bead's edge, and draw a pencil line off the templet as to where the line needs to be. This will take the guesswork outa shaping the bead.

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "