Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model a oil leak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corey Wilson, May 11, 2018.

1. Corey Wilson

Corey Wilson

Just got my standard model a running and there is a big oil leak at the back of the transmission what is my best option? IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2043.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. My first question is this; is your car lowered enough that the Clam Shell is lower than the rear diff? In other words, is the Torque Tube running down hill to the Gear box like a Hot Rod should be? I'll assume you installed both gaskets and the Cork seal as it should be.
    The Wizzard

3. Corey Wilson

Corey Wilson

The torque tube goes slightly up hill I’m not sure about the gaskets I have never had the gearbox out this is the first proper drive I have done since I got it

4. Up hill is good in that it keeps the rear Diff lube from filling the tube and running out. Henry used Cork seals in that joint and they tend to not do a real good job. These work better. upload_2018-5-12_6-48-18.jpeg
    Just Google Model A torque tube seals and you'll find lots to read. It's actually an easy fix.
    The Wizzard

5. Corey Wilson

Corey Wilson

Is it something I can easily do in the car

6. F&J

F&J

another leak is typical on these A's...at the shafts where they go through the case. The pins get loose in those bores and leak a lot. There is some O-ring modification, but if you cleaned it a lot, bone dry, some sealer might slow it down without much effort.
    model a .jpg

7. the new gaskets will help a lot but odds are if you have an old ford that doesn't leak.........it's out of oil.