Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead okie, Dec 1, 2011.

1. flathead okie

flathead okie

I am building a 30 rumble seat coupe and want to keep the rumble seat. Also won;t be running full fenders. The only options on fuel tanks I can think of are the 32 style tank or the stock tank ,or possibly one underneath the car. The 32 tank will run about $1,000 after all the hardware etc. The stock tank needs the fuel gage and hardware. I don't know if there is a tank I can run under the car and look good or be safe,

I would like to put in a differnt dash, and use SW gauges. Is there an adapter to the gas tank to use a modern sender?

If you,re running the stock tank, Do you use the original dash pod?
    Do you have pic of your dash with the original tank and different dash/gauges?

Do you runn a 32 tank? where did you get it and was it fairly easy to mount?

Any help appreciated. This has basicly got me stopped on progress on the build.

2. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

3. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

I cut my tank open on the bottom and used it to house all my electrical, but I used a '32 Style dash in my coupe, and was able to leave the original tank in place. The gauges cleared the original tank, just had to take the original gauge cluster off.

4. I ran a 32 tank on my old coupe. Bought it new at NSRA springfirld meet several years ago. Seem like it was around $350 then. Bought some frame horns and made the rest. Worked out well for me.

Attached Files:

5. oj

oj

I wouldn't want fuel right there infront of me - the odors alone in the summer would make your head swim. I am in the process of developing a device that will let you use the existing model 'a' mechanical gage that will be controlled by a stepper motor from a remote gage 0-90ohm is what we're working with. Few things are as attractive as a model 'a' dash if i get this gizmo developed it'll let you use the stock cluster and add oil and water. I hope to have some prototypes by jan or feb.
    Later oj

6. I have been looking for an answer to this question myself on a pickup. I wasn't planning on running a '32 tank but again what are the options here and I don't want to mount it in the bed(what's the point of having a pickup if you can't use it?). Is the Model A tank "safe?" Are people running them in duel tanks under the car? Anybody else using the stock tank?

7. flthd31

flthd31

No problem using a good Model A tank. I've been driving this car for years with one. Absolutely no fuel smell at all. I replaced the old shut-off valve with a good quality stainless ball valve and I shut it off when not driving. Reason being, the tank is above the carbs and there is always a little push on the fuel due to gravity. It's not enough to seat the needles in the carbs and they weep a little otherwise.
    As far as fuel gauge goes, I turned down a SW sending unit mounting plate to fit in the original gauge opening. This cuts off all the holes around the edge. Then I bent the cork float stem 90 degrees to reach the bottom of the tank...works like a charm.
    There's still enough room to use a 32 style dash in front of the tank. All my wiring is routed under the seat along with the fuse panel and the dry cell battery is behind the seat. ..leaves alot of room for trunk storage.

Attached Files: