Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Gas Tank and Dash removel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutchtreat, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dutchtreat

dutchtreat

I have a nice '28-'29 Roadster cowl that I picked up and am going to use in the building of my RPU. It looks to have a complete top--gastank--do not know if good or not. I have an extra top--cowl panel and would like to just unbolt the whole tank setup and replace it with the extra top piece I have. However it looks like the dash is attached to the tank also. Am I right or are they seperate?
    Dutch

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

I think they are one piece. I know that my 30 was. I've seen a 28/29 before and I'm pretty sure that they are the same. You could gut yours out and leave the top and the dash part though. I cut mine apart and didn't save the dash part even though it was nice looking on the outside. Inside I think that I could have filled a quart bottle with rust that came from within.

3. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Something like this? I cut it out to make room for my 34 chevy dash and hanging pedals and whatnot. Its a one piece deal, and i cut the bottom out of it. Model A's dont really have a "dash". They have a top rail that goes accross, but the gauges are integrated into the back of the tank.
    Ratty55
    [​IMG]

4. rodder001

rodder001
    from Omaha Ne

nope they dont come apart.there one piece.

5. 5window

5window

Ask the guys on fordbarn.com

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

The front of the dash IS the back of the tank, the only pieces that are separate is the gage panel, and the trim piece that covers the gap at the top of the tank.

Rich

7. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I think you may be on the right track. I gutted my tank from underneath with my grinder/cutoff wheel and it was a bitch. Taking the old one out and using your top piece sounds easier. You could sell the old one for parts money.

8. dutchtreat

dutchtreat

Thanks guys I did post on Ford barn and the Model A guys gave me the same info. One gave me all the info I need to remove it. If it's good I'll sell it to him for his help.
    Dutch