Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Frame Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ridin dirty, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I know this board is mostly traditionalist but has any one used a jeep yj frame under a model A coupe before? it looks like it would work except changing the front snout. It kind of looks like a 32 frame.The reason is that Ican get one for nothing and i can use my front frame rails frome my A. Take it easy on me, this is just a idea rather than spending thousands on a frame. This model A is only a second toy that I have the other is a off frame show queen 68 Chevelle SS427. Im going to go measure the frame this afternoon. Here is a picture of what I was looking at.
    http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/9881..._yj_wrangler_project_old_school+old_frame.jpg

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

By the time you graft the rear of that onto the front of your Model Frame, then tweak it to make it work at the ride height you want... well you would probably just be better off taking your front Model A rails, getting some 2x4 and just making exactly what you want.

3. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

4. 46achers

46achers

Friend of mine did this back in the late 60's, it worked fairly easily, BUT.......

The A, it was a 29 Sedan, set very high, and road rough, he used the complete frame and running gear, I believe he had to cut into the front fenders and add "boxes" to cover the suspension,...sometimes "nothing" is a good price, in this case it is just not worth it.
    Dave

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

What's wrong with the stock A frame you have?

6. uhhh Exactly what part of that looks like a 32 frame???

what Zombie said

7. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Im just interested in the frame rails. If you have to make a frame wouldnt it be better to start off with frame rails like the guys that build 32 or custom frames rather than Zing, notching and major welding? Just put a rear and ladder bar crossmember? i want swept front rails so what would I do with the model A front rails to make it swepted?

8. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

T
    Just the way it is shaped. It's not even close to the big side rail look of a 32 but it is narrow and the rear rails are c-ed. A model A frame is not strong so thats why im looking to do something else. Remember it's just a idea.

9. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

take another look at a side view of 32 rails, they are not even close to the jeep frame that has drastic sweep in front, the motor mounts in the middle of the sweep also

box and z the model a frame or just spend $80 and buy the right square tubing to build a frame

just because you can, doesn't mean you should, the reason somethings are done over and over is because they work